Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Check Out this Treadle; I Need Advice >

Check Out this Treadle; I Need Advice

Check Out this Treadle; I Need Advice

Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Check Out this Treadle; I Need Advice

Still considering myself a newbie to the whole vintage machine circle, so I need advice. I saw this listing today and went to look at this machine priced at just $15. I took thread and fabric, but the machine, I discovered when I got there, has no bobbin! She had two other machines, also missing bobbins.

I have a 15 91. Will its bobbin fit? I don't have the serial number for this treadle. I walked away and have asked her to send it to me. The flywheel works. The foot is kind of rusty. The treadle pumps even though the belt was off. It wasn't missing, it was just off. So I don't know if the machine works.

Besides providing my own bobbin to test it out, are there other things I should take or do if/when I return? Anything else to consider on this deal? The owner knew nothing--not even what a bobbin is! Her sister (friend?) who was with her knew. Thank you for advising.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/4419707570.html
Old 04-13-2014, 05:47 PM

It's a 66 red eye. It's a different bobbin but any sewing store should have them but the metal ones that Sew Classic sells are better quality.

GO GET IT.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:50 PM

I agree. Singer 66 are nice treadles....red eye even better! Good price!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 PM

For $15 you're having all of these doubts??????? What do you want for nothing?????

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Looks like the slide plate bobbin cover is missing. Those are about $5 or 6. Besides that looks like an oil and go situation.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM

Yep! I agree. What's to think about here? It's all good and anything it needs look like cheap and easy fix. Hurry beore someone else snatches it up!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 PM

If you're in the market for a treadle it's a good deal. I believe 66 and 15 bobbins are different, so if you're looking for a 66 you might want to invest in at least a couple of those bobbins just in case and for test driving. The belt might have just been loosened from having the machine dropped into the table and the current owners not sure of how to re-assemble that (they loosen when dropping the machine into the table but sorry don't know the process for putting them back on when putting the machine back into functional status).

And just for kicks, since you've listed a Balto, MD listing, where are you? I'll be in Ellicott City in May if that's close and you want to do a meet up. PM me if interested.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 PM

I know it's a super great price, but that's what I thought about the 15 91 I bought with cabinet for $50 last summer and have put another 98 into to get it rewired and other things fixed by my SMG. I just don't know a thing about how to fix these and don't want another project machine. She did find the bobbin plate. There was no manual. Does it thread the same as a 15?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I know it's a super great price, but that's what I thought about the 15 91 I bought with cabinet for $50 last summer and have put another 98 into to get it rewired and other things fixed by my SMG. I just don't know a thing about how to fix these and don't want another project machine. She did find the bobbin plate. There was no manual. Does it thread the same as a 15?
I can guarantee that this treadle will not require electrical work! Finding the bobbin plate has already saved money.

Only problem might be if it's a back clamper and doesn't have any feet. They're getting expensive.

If you have the manual you have a threading diagram. The 15 has the tensioner on the end plate so it won't have the same path. Thread goes left to right on a 66.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 AM

http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/manuals/66.pdf <----link to a free manual. The Red Eye is a straight stitch machine with no reverse. It's simplicity makes it a good beginner machine to learn cleaning and basic maintenance.