Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning large rusted attachments? >

Cleaning large rusted attachments?

Cleaning large rusted attachments?

Old 05-24-2015, 03:20 PM

Tractor Supply has everything you need for a farm, and here we also have another, Rural King, which is huge, used to be a Sears store that closed, food, both people and animal of all sorts, toys, clothing furniture, guns, amno and most anything you want for rural living, and sporting/fishing of any kind, and here in Crystal River/Homosassa there is a lot of that.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:28 PM

We have Tractor Supply (TSC) and it does not carry it. Don't know if they have them south - but they are all over the upper midwest. Only place I've found it is at an Auto Parts store.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Tractor Supply is the name of a Chain of Farm and ranch supply stores ... mostly in the south or midwest I think ( I have never been in one ... none here in Alaska ) but it is sort of a "home improvement" store catering to a farmer. Not so much Lumber Think large stock tanks Barbed wire , Chain , fencing material etc.
We have them here on the west coast too, they cater mostly to our farmers and equestrians, I shop there mostly for the dog food and their chocolate, bacon and potato chip candy bar when I can get one as they sell out quickly.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:22 PM

Hey,

Hi to everyone first!
I had several bobbins, 15s, came with a sewing machine that had been left in the rain. All but one had thread on them, and all very rusty and full of thread. I decided I didn't want to toss the thread, as I could use it as test thread, so I submerged the bobbins in white vinegar, cheaper than evaporust. A few hours later I scrubbed with a tooth brush, bobbins thread and all, they came out very clean. The thread is still stained but useable. After the vinegar bath I rinsed them well and hung them up to dry. If the thread does break later, I can always toss it then!

Ethel
Old 05-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Given the price of thread at places like Connecting threads I would toss the thread and never look back. Since I started using cone thread I don't look at small retail spools the same way though I still buy them if I need to match a color. Starting with known good thread eliminates at least one source of problems when trying to troubleshoot a machine. Known good bobbins eliminate another. If a bobbin is too pitted it will catch your thread.

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools store in your area, they carry Evaporust too.
You can try white vinegar as a rust remover too though I don't think it's as powerful as Evaporust or citric acid.
Rodney
Old 05-26-2015, 04:06 PM

Auto supply stores have it. Thats where I got it last O'Rileys, I believe and perhaps Auto Zone and others. It takes a village, wire brushes, Dremel, steel wool, and everything else in the cabinet before we are through.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 PM

I was in Tractor Supply today and they had it in gallon jugs. I thought it was a little pricey, but suppose I'll go back in a day or two and get it.