Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
cleaning products for older machines >

cleaning products for older machines

cleaning products for older machines

Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

I like Dawn too - there is a Dawn de-greaser but it might take off paint on some machines - use on non-paint areas
Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 AM

I just did a cleanup of my machine; I used very diluted dish soap on a paper towel and wiped it down to get all the old oil and stuff off it, then wiped it down with a dry paper towel (so much grossness on it--yuck!). Once it was dry, I used this stuff, the pourable stuff specifically, being very careful around the decals and other sensitive bits. My FW gleams now, and she feels so silky smooth. Great stuff!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM

How does one go about cleaning knobs and such? I have a 15-91. The pressure regulating thumb screw is specifically what I would like to clean. Does this screw come off if one keeps turning counter-clockwise? I haven't even tried that. Still learning about my new machine, so am rather tentative about anything I do to her, but do want to take baby steps in checking things out and cleaning her.

I already added drops of oil on all of the top oil holes. Now need to do the underside and take off the faceplate. Am going to purchase the lubricant that gets used on the motor. She doesn't seem to have any rust, but this particular know is kind of dingy. Also there is a little pad in the top, that is dirty, looks like it should be replaced. I looked on Sew Classic and didn't see that this was a part that could be purchased. Did a little bit of googling as well, and wasn't finding anything.

She sews wonderfully - I absolutely love her (think I am going to call her Annie). In February I would like to have her serviced with someone in our area that services these machines (just to make sure all is in order). I have ordered the bobbin tire, because that was disintegrating. I know that she will need to be rewired, can see that the casing in some areas looks like it has some cracks developing. So have been downloading the manuals, instructions, etc. to do this. I will probably ask the service person what he would charge to re-wire. If the price is right, might go that route - or will enlist the help of DH in this endeavor.

Am I on the right track with this? Is there anything else I should be considering?