Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Thank you Glenn! I bought a 'boat anchor' Wheeler and Wilson a few weeks ago. It was definitely used a great deal during it's lifetime. The paint is worn away down to bare metal around the spool pin. I'll use your method to bring her back the best I can.

Name:  IMG_6174.JPG
Views: 1110
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6175.JPG
Views: 1105
Size:  110.7 KB

Wow, the machine looks beautiful!! The Lettering that you did is PERFECT!! Great tutorial! Thank you!
    Anamaria

Glenn, what the heck is Plast Buster, where do we get it and exactly what is it for?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Glenn, what the heck is Plast Buster, where do we get it and exactly what is it for?
    I get Plast Buster at the auto store, I use it to loosen up rust and and clean all the moving parts. Some use kerosene but I use Plast buster. It is neater and can be sprayed in all the internal parts.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    I also don't use Tri-flow, I use sewing machine oil or a good quality clock oil and only sewing machine lub when needed for motors. Some like the Tri-flow and have had good results. I just dont use it because I am a driven by traditional methods and when the book says sewing machine oil that is what I will use. I think I forgot to mention that after cleaning oil the machine well.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I also don't use Tri-flow, I use sewing machine oil or a good quality clock oil and only sewing machine lub when needed for motors. Some like the Tri-flow and have had good results. I just dont use it because I am a driven by traditional methods and when the book says sewing machine oil that is what I will use. I think I forgot to mention that after cleaning oil the machine well.
    Glad to see you say that! I figure if sewing machine oil & Singer lubricant kept these old machines going this long, it's certainly stood the test of time. That's all I use & my machines run as smooth & quiet as the day they were made.

Thanks for the great tutorial, Glenn. I have a few machines that have to cleaned and these directions are just what I need. What kind of gold paint did you use to touch up the lettering?

Blog Entries
    Skip...YOU ROCK!! Thank you!!

I still haven't figured out how to handle the finish on the Köhler...I think I may end up touching up the lettering, letting the base decals alone, and applying shellac to clear coat and preserve what's left of them.

You did a great job on that slide plate...that had some ugly to it when I sent it to you!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

​My candidate for Glenn's Method, the Brunswick. Too bad that the cabinet is beyond repair.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sweet Caroline

Wonderful job! Love the decals!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast