Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning & restoring old cabinet >

Cleaning & restoring old cabinet

Cleaning & restoring old cabinet

Old 07-26-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
I've been reading the tutorials from "Glenn" and figured out that the finish on my old cabinet is shellac. Now, I
'm confused about what constitutes "cleaning" and what constitutes "refinishing" . Do I use his cleaning solutions #1 and #2 to REMOVE the shellac and get down to the "original" or is there some step I'm missing? Once the shellac is gone and I'm down to the "original" wood, then what? I have Howard's Restore-a-Finish and the Feed & Wax. I tried the Restore a Finish but it doesn't look like it removes the "damaged" shellac. Does that come into the process AFTER the cleaning solutions?

Thank you for your help!
Cleaning solutions 1 and 2 will not remove the shellac it will only clean the cabinet. Restore a Finish only covers up and hides. I don't use restore a finish. After cleaning and letting the thing dry you will see this missing shellac. I usually wipe on a thin layer of shellac in these areas with a lint free rag, then let dry and do it again until the new is level with the old shellac. After this cures for a day or so you may want to sand with fine paper to even out. Then I would apply a thin coat of shellac to the whole cabinet. Let cure a week then wax with a paste wax I use Briwax. Cleaning is just that cleaning. If you want to refinish down to the wood you will need to strip it with chemical stripper or with lots of denatured alcohol and steel wool. You will have to stain the cabinet to even out the color(water soluble aniline dye in walnut brown diluted to the point it will just barely color and even out out the color). After drying apply three coats of shellac. You can rag it on or brush then aftercuring for a week rub down with fine steel wool and wax then buff to bring out the shine.
Skip

Last edited by Glenn; 07-26-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:19 AM

Thanks Glenn! I won't go any farther with the DA and steel wool on the bentwood top: I'll do the cleaning as you suggested, followed by the thin coat(s) of shellac etc. I will probably just regard the water stains as "beauty marks" for now. This seems the most "non-invasive" approach. The Restore-a-Finish will be exchanged for a can of clear shellac.