Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comment about old machines

Blog Entries

Comment about old machines

I am awaiting my hand-crank Naumann sewing machine purchased during my trip to Switzerland. My DH arranged for it to be shipped to his office. Anyhow, one of the ladies at his work asked, "Why would anyone want an old machine like that? They can't be very accurate."

When he told me this, I replied that they are very accurate, because they only do one thing, and therefore they do it very well. I guess the outside world doesn't realize that with the attachments that came with those old machines you can do so many different things, buttonholes, ruffles, hems, etc.
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Accurate? He should tell her it's the operator, not the machine, that determines accuracy. A machine is only as good as the hands working it, no matter how much you spend or fancy bells and whistles it comes with.

Well, I like it when people (who don't know about these machines) have that attitude--because that means more of the wonderful old machines for us!

Pat

I am sooooooo in agreement with you gals. Older is wonderful and it's not the tool, it's the operator.

Joe

Banned
    Blog Entries
    can't wait to see pix of it!

As soon as I finish one project. I'm selling my Viking Mega Quilter to make room for the vintage machines. I'd rather sew on our treadle! I agree keep the secret -- all the more for us. Is that being too greedy?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

The only other thing I like better than that attitude is the one that goes..."Sew? No! Who sews anymore anyway??"
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    Whenever one of my friends starts talking "new machine", I try to convince them to go vintage. I explain the difference between the plastic fantastic junque of today vs the very dependable all steel stuff of yesteryear. Some get it, some don't. For some reason the word "computerized" just dazzles the heck out of some people to the point they spend mucho $$$ to get what a $100 Singer 500 will do!! Amazing to me!!

Power Poster
    Kind of like writing with a pencil with an eraser and paper and writing using word processing on a computer!

Both get the job done -

Quote Originally Posted by j miller View Post
    i am sooooooo in agreement with you gals. Older is wonderful and it's not the tool, it's the operator.

Joe
    huh??????? Are you bragging Joe?
    Kitsy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast