Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Conclusion of My Featherweight Story

You can buy inexpensive new rubber feet for your featherweight. Good investment as it will keep it from scratching and make it level for sewing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for Nova's site....

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Nice machine.

The receptacle can be replaced rather easily if needed. As long as it works I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The lead wrapped around the wires is there to keep then out of the gears. The lead is not a problem. The fuzzy white stuff is however. Lead oxide is toxic if you ingest it. What I'd do is carefully paint the lead with shellac an leave it right there.

Joe
    I am a neophite at FW so excuse this question, but I must ask it: RE: fuzzy white stuff......do all FW have this lurking on their underside???? I have just acquired one, and when I am thru reading thru this board I am going to go down to my sewing room and turn it upside down and take a peak.......if it has this fuzzy white stuff, where do I get this shellac mentioned as a fixer-upper.......thanks for the info.............

Her class is a one-day, hands-on class and is worth every penny. We had a nice weekend out of town, and learned tons about Featherweights. I have *several* of the little cuties and found out from her class that I didn't know half of what I thought I knew about them. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Nice machine.

The receptacle can be replaced rather easily if needed. As long as it works I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The lead wrapped around the wires is there to keep then out of the gears. The lead is not a problem. The fuzzy white stuff is however. Lead oxide is toxic if you ingest it. What I'd do is carefully paint the lead with shellac an leave it right there.

Joe
    Hi Joe,
    With these older machines, and cabinets, are there other issues with lead? Where is the best place to find information on this? Thank you!
    Anamaria
    "A change of feeling is a change of destiny."
    -Neville-

Blog Entries
    Joe, are you sure that's lead? Ellie, what year is the machine? Late 40s to early 50s FWs had some aluminum wiring so it could be aluminum rot.

What a pretty little machine. This one makes me want one - at least for a minute.

Irishrose - the machine is from 1950 - it's a pretty machine, and I'm anxious to get her going... but now I'm getting shy about running it and properly maintaining it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2