Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Condition Chart for Sewing Machine

Condition Chart for Sewing Machine

I found this while wandering the Internet, it originally came from the ISMACS website. Unfortunately there are no 10s in my herd/hoard.

Condition Chart created for the International Sewing Machine Collectors’ Society over 20 years ago. It was quickly picked up by enthusiasts all over the world and is now the universally accepted way of describing a machine.
    10. Just like the day it left the factory. Not a scratch or mark upon it.
    9. As 10 but with the small, odd scratch or wear mark evident to very close inspection.
    8. Very good used condition. All paint good; all metalwork bright. What the average antique dealer would call “perfect”.
    7. Good condition but rubbing of paint evident and/or some nickel plating worn.
    6. As in 7 but more wear to paint and/or some light surface rust to the bright work.
    5. The average, hard-used, ill-cared-for machine looking for someone to love it.
    4. Poor condition, chipped enamel, rusty metalwork but acceptable for a collection if a rare machine.
    3. In need of restoration but a reasonable job for a dedicated enthusiast.
    2. Total restoration needed to paintwork and bright metal. It's a brave collector that takes it on.
    1. Spare parts only and these would be in need of extensive restoration.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    I have some 8's. 1 #10. That's because the lady bought it new --never used it and I bought it from her and so far have not even plugged it in to see if it actually works. I know dumb of me, but she guranteed it to be brand new.

Great info. I think I'd classify my FW as at least a 9 or 9.5! What a deal! Now my 66 - well that's more like a #4. But the price was right and one of these days it will be all fixed up!

I notice no mention of decals ... or do they classify decals in the same category as paint? From a purist perspective I would think decals would be worth at least a mention.

I certainly don't have any 10's .. but a few 9's (perhaps a few 9.5) and some 8's. A few more lower on the scale as well. That said ... NONE of my machines are museum collectable models. No early Howe's or parlor Bradbury or Florences in my herd.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I would give mine a 10, simply because it was not used for about 8 years and I purchased it brand new to work on the last project back then. Works great.