Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
converting singer 66 from HC back to treadle >

converting singer 66 from HC back to treadle

converting singer 66 from HC back to treadle

Old 02-14-2015, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
When the grandkids are here, I put a hand crank on my 66 and just shift the treadle belt off the lower wheel. When they go home the hand crank gets put back in the drawer.
Sharon
great idea - kids love hand cranking - some aren't co-ordinated enough to treadle.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:34 PM

Miriam, I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to treadle, either! LOL. But, I do have health reasons why (and I won't go into a long story on that). I'm enjoying the heck out of my Singer 403A, and my 202 is almost ready for use. The motor has been completely re-wired (except for the field coils). but the shellac is cracking, and I want to try Glenn's method to see if I can improve it. Otherwise, the decals are going to flake off. Since the decals are about 98% there, I don't want to use it until I can get the shellac worked on. I also have the Minnesota Model A which belongs to my cousin in Arkansas, and the National Two Spool where the shellac is cracking, etc. It would be a shame to lose the decals on those machines, too. When I can work on these is weather-dependent -- We moved to Florida for warmer weather, but it's been in the 20's the past couple of nights! Go figure!

Jeanette
Old 02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Miriam, I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to treadle, either! LOL. But, I do have health reasons why (and I won't go into a long story on that). I'm enjoying the heck out of my Singer 403A, and my 202 is almost ready for use. The motor has been completely re-wired (except for the field coils). but the shellac is cracking, and I want to try Glenn's method to see if I can improve it. Otherwise, the decals are going to flake off. Since the decals are about 98% there, I don't want to use it until I can get the shellac worked on. I also have the Minnesota Model A which belongs to my cousin in Arkansas, and the National Two Spool where the shellac is cracking, etc. It would be a shame to lose the decals on those machines, too. When I can work on these is weather-dependent -- We moved to Florida for warmer weather, but it's been in the 20's the past couple of nights! Go figure!

Jeanette
20s beats single or minus digits... I kind of feel like hibernating. I come up for hot chocolate once in a while... DH put some soup out in the enclosed breezeway to cool and it froze pretty quickly. bbbbbbrrrrrr I think spring is malfunctioning here or something.

Ask Glenn about the checking - maybe he can do something with some pictures. I think it can be improved and it can be a lot of work. I want to work on one that has checked pretty bad, too. I'm worried about a couple machines I have checking with the uneven heat we have here - cold just creeps in through the walls and floor this year.

Most of the time I'm not coordinated enough or something - the fractured/sprained foot has kept me from doing much with the treadle lately. However, this fall I was finally able to treadle - if I can keep it going in the right direction - it is a Davis VS - I think it was set up just for me. I much prefer a hand crank. I also think it has to do with the hand wheel size and weight.