culture shock

Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Default culture shock

I'm working on machine applique, did some on my 990Viking (1980 model) and some with my White 670 (Japanese zigzag) and then moved to the Pfaff.

I bought this machine (used) almost a year ago, and this is the first time I've sewed on it. Took a bit to get use to as just about everything is adjusted via the touch screen.

I could not get the tension like I wanted, and finally took out the bobbin case and my small screwdriver and loosed that up a touch. Felt good to find something I could adjust without the computer!
This machine has a few "idiot" features I do not like. One - if it decided you should have the feed dogs up or down, and you don't - it won't sew.

But on the plus side, this machine will sew very, very slow - making the applique a lot easier. And the built in needle threader is something I could get use to LOL!!

Overall, my Viking 990 has nothing to worry about.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:59 AM

I have a computerized machine here. I don't know if it works or not as the instructions are so completely confusing I can not make it go. Just like my computerized cameras it takes many more steps to program the stupid thing than it does to just lower the presser foot and push the go button on a mechanical one.

I'm glad you're smart enough to figure out the convoluted controls, I can't.

I've decided I will not ever buy another computerized machine. NEVER ... EVER ... NOT ONE SNOW BALL CHANCE IN HADES. And I mean maybe! < Mom used to say that when she got mad at me ... it didn't make any sense then either .

Joe
Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 AM

Lol, it does take a bit of getting used to....luckily my newest machine is 25 years old....my Bernina 1130 I bought new in 1989. I keep thinking id like one of those new fangled ones but my husband bought me the Juki 2200 long arm back in October with all of the computerized mumbo jumbo and I have yet to figure out the "auto pilot". But take all of that away and it's really a nice mechanical machine.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:00 AM

We’ve been experiencing a little “culture shock” around here over the holidays too. My wife made a couple of wall hanging/table runners, and then decided to use the scraps from the first two to make two more. The butterflies got a little “dissected” on the ones using scraps, but since the center of table runners normally get covered with a bowl or something anyway, the dissected butterflies shouldn’t be all that noticeable. The photo is of one of the scrap table runners.

She pieced and free-motion quilted them with her 1956 Singer 301A, and she added blanket stitching to some areas of each one with her 2014 Singer 5400.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20150104_1a.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

I've decided I will not ever buy another computerized machine. NEVER ... EVER ... NOT ONE SNOW BALL CHANCE IN HADES. And I mean maybe! < Mom used to say that when she got mad at me ... it didn't make any sense then either .

Joe
How on earth did sweet little Joey ever make his mom mad? Lol, lol!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 AM

I got to play with a computerized Pfaff yesterday. Admittedly it was set up and ready to go. All I had to do was sew with it. The one I was using had a built in walking foot. I could get used to that. It was very nice to sew with, I could feel the difference the foot made in the amount of control I had. I can't say modern machines are all bad. The higher end machines are nice. The low end chain store machines though are pretty much just machine shaped objects and aren't worth fooling with. You get what you pay for.
Rodney
Old 01-04-2015, 11:18 AM

"You get what you pay for" That is so true.

But if I had the cash some of these modern machines cost, I could rent a truck, move west, put a down payment on a house, and still have enough left over to take my wife out to dinner.

Joe
Old 01-04-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
But if I had the cash some of these modern machines cost, I could rent a truck, move west, put a down payment on a house, and still have enough left over to take my wife out to dinner.

Joe
Haha LOL You're on a roll, Joe, come on over :-) - Love your spirited "mom quote". We need to see you get worked up more often ;-)
Old 01-04-2015, 11:44 AM

The IDT on Pfaffs and now Bernina and Babylock, because the patent is up for grabs, is awesome. I have a handful of computerized machines and even though I love my vintage machines, I really do love my embroidery machine and all the luxuries of a modern machine.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:11 PM

I think I wouldn't mind getting a Pfaff with the IDT - they look like they would be so nice to sew with

I almost bought an older one from our LSMG last year - think it was a 1475 - I just couldn't justify the $ to myself but I must admit that I still look at the newer ones with a bit of envy - the closest I have to a computerized machine is my Bernina 1630 - got her used almost 15 years ago and I love her!