Curious sewing machine

Old 08-11-2018, 11:48 PM

Default Curious sewing machine

Is this a re-branded model of some sort.
I have never heard of this type before.
Thanks for any help.
Kirsten

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...etego_ssfy_www
Old 08-12-2018, 07:11 AM

It appears to be what's commonly referred to as a Japanese 15 clone. It's a copy of a Singer 15. They were manufactured after WWII in Japan.

Most are very reliable machines, although Miriam says that some of early ones sometimes need some timing work. They are all metal and will last forever. I've had a couple of the later Japanese machines and they worked well, although one was really noisy.

Usually, you can just oil them and start using them. Singer feet and accessories fit them, so they are inexpensive and plentiful. You can get a generic manual for free at ismacs.

bkay
Old 08-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
It appears to be what's commonly referred to as a Japanese 15 clone. It's a copy of a Singer 15. They were manufactured after WWII in Japan.

Most are very reliable machines, although Miriam says that some of early ones sometimes need some timing work. They are all metal and will last forever. I've had a couple of the later Japanese machines and they worked well, although one was really noisy.

Usually, you can just oil them and start using them. Singer feet and accessories fit them, so they are inexpensive and plentiful. You can get a generic manual for free at ismacs.

bkay
I don't think they are that old. I started noticing these when the Needlepunch stitching was all the rage. Seems to me the advertisements showed clothing and bedding covered with stitches that looked like caterpillars. The Omni Stitch was for all decorative stitching. If the photo is of a 15 clone, where is the drop-feed knob? I think the original selling price for the Omni Stitch kit was about $400. I'd like to be proven wrong if it educates me.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:27 AM

It's definitely an omni stitch machine; but I don't know them well at all. They have a jumping action on the presser bar / embroidery foot, they have all kinds of attachments for thread and ribbon feed. They stitch with the type of embroidery thread used for hand work. The curious thing is its' resemblance to model 15.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Banned

The man actually used 15 clones at first and turned them into embellishment machines. Now he has the machines made for him. They are not for regular sewing. You use yarn, narrow ribbon, etc..

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 08-12-2018 at 10:15 AM.