That darn cat

Old 08-01-2014, 06:49 PM

O no no no she's is not a quilt inspector, she's an outside cat. she looked about a year old whe she first started hanging around, it took two years before I could touch her maybe 4 yrs before I feed her, she not a wild cat, she's been fixed... I'm in the country so no idea where she came from.. This is the first time she has come in the house, she would sit at the door, byt never come inside.

she's a very light gray and super thich fur, so I think she getting to hot and finding those back rooms cool and safe to sleep..

I blamed her for yesterdays adventure in SM Barn finds,,These are buildings that no one has been in for the last ten years.. til this month...
s
o yesterday there was also a free westinghouse laying there .. with is the last thing I'd ever want... I have an apartment electric, I sure is the same thing .. now comes the but, this free looks almost unused, still glossy black and very bright decals close to zero rust . In the photo's some parts look like rust it's reflection from the wood base.. any speckles is dust , in the photo's I have not even as much as blown the dust away. so as dirty as found...

This is a $10 buy, from the guy that gave me that new home

The bad, that guy was being nice and wanted to carry it to my car, He grad the dome top case handel. ( you know what ran down my leg ) about twp steps I told him I'll take it . he just kept going, I looked at my car and hear the loudest BAM!!!!! you'll ever hear. not want to ever look , I did, he's standing there with the dome cover in his hand and the machine on the ground ... luckly it landed flat and split every joint in the base, broke all the wood under one hinge and a long piece at the hand wheel end that supports the machine and is a groove for the sliding attachment cover. But two machines for $10 right so I can't whine... it is repairable and won't show..

as post ealier the treable stand they have is not an amercain, it's a national, I don't know that I have ever seen a national treadle stand before ..lots of elec machines, never a treadle..

last pat date on the slide plate is 1908, some how I think these were late 20's machines

metal tag with copper nails say patent appieled for maybe the case ??? The metal hook ( ?) is on both ends of the sliding cover which holds the foot peddle see how much lower the hinge is, the wood has been broken under the hinge. maybe you can see the joint knoked apart at the case, every joint has been broken loose,, not the wood but the glue

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 08-01-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM

I had a Singer door stop in about the same condition...until I broke a toe on it trying to avoid stepping on the Chihuahua that was sleeping in the middle of the doorway.
I am ashamed to admit that I got rid of that old rustbucket...Wish that I had held onto it...wish I hadn't wacked my toe on it,too!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:40 PM

In the next few days I am going to go by a new home and singer treadle stand,, so ol rusty will be in a new home again, only not so rusty ..

Ok I had stopped buying these things , gave up gathering more machines, cold turkey.. this month it's been 3 machines and one treadle stand, now I plan on two more stands.. and have passed up 3 other machines had could have been had @ $5 apiece.

These are all coming from people that have or have had junk/ antique stores.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:44 AM

I periodically "give up" on buying sewing machines. Nothing like setting your resolve NOT TO BUY to get the one you've been lusting for to show up.

I've literally grabbed cases away from people who pick them up by the handle. I think the horrified look in my eyes stops them from contesting. Ok- so it's not they picked up a newborn baby by the foot - but I'm sure that is what my expression looks like!

BTW - my National treadle looks a lot like my White treadle. A few companies (like early Singer) made they own, but many had them made for them. While there are a lot of Singers out there so it may not seem like it, the Singer treadle is one of the few that does not have some sort of "auto lift" mechanism.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:54 AM

The old Singer bentwood cases came with hand holds under each end of the case bottom for a reason. I'm guilty of handling them and carrying them by the handle for a short distance too, but for anything other than across the work area I pick them up from the bottom and carry them.

Joe
Old 08-02-2014, 08:59 AM

Let's hear a cheer for CAT! I have two that adopted me...one 18 years ago Brownie Brown and one last year just called by now BC for black cat! Petco here I come.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 AM

These National treadles. I have Branded national machines. and see photo's of national under that name but those are not treadle. My interest is the Irons say national on them ( no peddle or wheel). There branded model have the same name as the machine head.. I have that gut feeling I had better get this one before it goes to scrap. cause he did say thats where is going. This home is going up for sale.

This is an invation only sale, fact there is only two of us at this point being allowed . The other person is buying all the antique tools for her store, so it's don't ruffle feathers .. This place has 10 foot high shurbs and locked gates LOL

The Singer bentwood cases. it was only the later models that have those hand cut outs on the bottom
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM

never have taken a pic of cat, she's out on rat patrol right now..
Old 08-02-2014, 03:05 PM

Have fun! and love the story.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:08 PM

xxx's I'll take the ones you pass on. Where are they? Care to step out of the shadows, or r u undercover? ;-)