Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dating Singer Attachments Question? >

Dating Singer Attachments Question?

Dating Singer Attachments Question?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Default Dating Singer Attachments Question?

I think there probably is a way to get at least an approximate year or range of years for Singer attachments by using the part numbers but I don't know where to look if such a guide exists. I ask because I just bought some attachments today and would like to know roughly when they were made.
Sorry, no pictures yet, but I bought an old style buttonholer, a blind stitch attachment and a very old darning/embroidery hoop.
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM
KLO

Cannot wait to see what responses you get to this inquiry because I would like to have the same guide. Hope someone has an answer. I certainly would be surprise if some of the "knowledgeable ones" don't.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 AM

http://www.oldsewingear.com/singer-accessories.html
Old 03-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Probably not. For a lot of Singer attachments, they used the same part number from the time it was first introduced and then on. Some feet got updated and a new part number, but Singer did not change the numbers just because it's a different year.

However there are some physical differences if you know what to look for - I've tried to work out some of this using the pictures in the manuals and noting the changes to the feet.

Now, if you are looking at older feet (pre 1900) there is way more changes and variations. It seems that the attachment set got a bit standardized in the early 1900's - maybe after Greist left Singer and sort of took it all over.

it's interesting to note the similarities between Greist and Singer after that time. The rufflers are very similar, however the tuckers are not, though the Greist tucker is almost the same as an earlier Singer one, but then Singer when to something very different.

Singer went with the adjustable hemmer that WW had, and Greist stayed with the separate hemmer feet that earlier Singer sets also had. The later gather foot and edge guide are similar. The later buttonholers are very similar, I suspect they were all made by Greist, some specifically for Singer and some for others, and some with Greist on them.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by onthebrinkofdisaster View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for this link!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for this link!
lol youre welcome! I have it book marked ! I reread it ALL THE TIME