Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Davis New Vertical Feed questions >

Davis New Vertical Feed questions

Davis New Vertical Feed questions

Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Question Davis New Vertical Feed questions

We saw a vertical feed machine for the first time today. Cool action! The finish on the machine seemed very thick and it was pebbled/alligatored almost to the point of reminding me of a crinkle finish, but the dacls were almost completely intact. The cabinet was in pretty nice shape.

This one didn't have a shuttle or bobbins. How easy are they to get? What sorts of unique problems should I look out for when checking it out? What sorts of attachments are out there for it? It basically had nothing beyond the machine and cabinet.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM

No problems getting bobbins and shuttles for this machine. Davis made millions of Minnesota A,B,C,& S and full sized Underfeeds which use the same B&S. I see them on ebay and I'm sure collectors / parts suppliers have some with parts machines or loose. Some use Singer bobbins in there Davis shuttle.
A full set of attachments will be harder to come by and fairly expensive maybe $50-$100 they go for on ebay.

Jon
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
<snip> The finish on the machine seemed very thick and it was pebbled/alligatored almost to the point of reminding me of a crinkle finish, but the dacls were almost completely intact. The cabinet was in pretty nice shape.<snip>
That is a great description and matches what my machine looks like also. Mine came with all of the needed accessories so I can't comment on the price of them. There is a Yahoo group specifically for The Davis NVF. Perhaps someone on there would be a good resource for bits and pieces.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 AM

Thanks, folks. I'm still on the fence about it. On the plus side, the cabinet was fine and the movement of the machine looked good. Easily found shuttles and bobbins is good too. On the minus side, the finish is not good and it would mean convincing Herself that we have space for yet another treadle....
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 AM

Kenneth, I have two Davis Vertical Feed machines. One is the original Davis Vertical Feed, which takes a special Boye #10 or 1x2 needle. Those needles are harder to find, obsolete and usually very pricey. They can be found on E-bay. The shuttle and bobbins are also pricey.

My second Davis is the New Vertical Feed, which takes normal everyday 15x1 needles.

If you get the Davis, you will love it! That is the greatest machine for putting binding on quilts as it has no feed dogs so the foot 'walks' the fabric without bunching or puckering the thick layers! I use my Vertical Feed Davis for that purpose only! You will get a work out, though! It is the hardest to treadle - I mean in using muscles hard - that I own!

Nancy
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Lots of NVF's in your neck of the woods so you don't have to jump at the first one available. These Vertical Feeds are about the neatest thing since sliced bread and worth making room for or if you find one with a motor mounted on it you could use it as a portable. The head has built in legs so you don't even need a case or cabinet.

Jon
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 AM

Jon, they predate sliced bread

I really do want it as a treadle but I think I'll wait for one with a nicer finish. I'm fine if we never get another electric machine (though herself is talking about getting a long arm some year!)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
<snip>You will get a work out, though! It is the hardest to treadle - I mean in using muscles hard - that I own!
Nancy
Nancy,

Thank you for mentioning that. I haven't used mine to attach bindings yet. I keep treadling it in an attempt to reduce its noise and clunkiness. I have plastic under the treadle base that has collected little pools of oil because I am always adding oil thinking that will help the treadling be easier. Maybe that noise and clanking is just part of the beast and it will never be as quiet as my other machine models. I do not see myself ever parting with it though as I consider it a "keeper". Again, thanks, it is good to know that this is a "work out" machine!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM

My NVF's have about the same noise level as my other VS machines, though not nearly as quiet as my Rotaries or Oscillating SM's.

Jon
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
My NVF's have about the same noise level as my other VS machines, though not nearly as quiet as my Rotaries or Oscillating SM's.

Jon
Oh, the Davis NVF is my only VS machine. All others are rotaries, oscillating, or chain stitch. That rings a bell that I've heard that VS machines are a bit noisier. Thanks for the reminder Jon.