Davis Vertical Feed

Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Davis Vertical Feed

I'm pretty sure that is what they are called - the ones with the walking foot/moving needle. I've seen two of them on our vacation, and wanted to buy both but got vetoed both times. First one was a newer type with the "modern" tension. Had no attachments and was in a treadle cabinet that had been painted. For $75, I wanted to take the machine and leave the cabinet, but DH said we should wait and see what else we might find. And this one is closer to home and we could get it if it was still there after we got back . . . so I reluctantly agreed.

We are on our way home, and this afternoon I saw another Davis - same feeding mechanism but it was the High Arm with the old style tension on top of the machine. It was in a beat up treadle cabinet, but came with a manual and a full set of attachments . . . for $65. I really tried to get DH to agree - we would not have been able to take the cabinet, but I so wanted those attachments! I'd have willing paid $65 for the head and attachments, and we could have fit it in the car, but DH did his best to discourage me. And I did prefer the newer style machine . . . but those attachments. . . well, I do have SMAD after all. But I agreed it was rather silly to buy attachments hoping I'd some day get the machine.

Well, after leaving I'm looking on Craiglist and find a deal, it's a Davis head like I want, a very nice Minnesota head, an old Necchi head that looks like a 127 and some misc items. I called and made arrangements to pick them up Friday AM on our way through the area. It's going to be a real tight fit for the last leg of our journey - but DH wisely decided he better not try to talk me out of this deal.

If I get them ( and I don't count on CL until I've got the machine in my possession) then we'll get home with 12, and that is a nice number. Since DH was such a stick in the mud about the Wheeler Wilson, I bought one off eBay and it should get home a few days after I do. So at this point the only thing left on my short list is the 319 and the trapezoid cabinet. I've got a few more items on my wish list, and am still looking for attachments! We'll be spending tomorrow in St. Joseph's MO, and checking out shops in that area.