Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Banned

Default this day in history..

1846: Elias Howe patents the sewing machine
Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Howe shall we thank him?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:42 PM
KLO

I cannot imagine Howe we ever would have gotten along without his invention!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 PM

We bought a sewing machine from Elias Howes GG??? Grand son and grand daughter about a month ago. Small world isn't it?

Joe
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
We bought a sewing machine from Elias Howes GG??? Grand son and grand daughter about a month ago. Small world isn't it?

Joe
I just met a GG? nephew of Elias Howe about a month ago at an antique shop in Miamisburg, OH! At least that is what he told me! I was looking at a couple of vintage machines in his shop. Interesting guy, used to repair sewing machines and then worked with a fabric designer as her artist. Still been thinking about the 401 I saw in his shop...
The history of the invention of the sewing machine is so interesting...
I am constantly amazed at the precise engineering that goes into making a sewing machine.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 AM

Is that the shop that usually posts machines on Craigslist? I'm going to get down there soon/someday. I used to live and work in Miamisburg but I'm rarely down there these days.

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
I just met a GG? nephew of Elias Howe about a month ago at an antique shop in Miamisburg, OH! At least that is what he told me! I was looking at a couple of vintage machines in his shop. Interesting guy, used to repair sewing machines and then worked with a fabric designer as her artist. Still been thinking about the 401 I saw in his shop...
The history of the invention of the sewing machine is so interesting...
I am constantly amazed at the precise engineering that goes into making a sewing machine.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Is that the shop that usually posts machines on Craigslist? I'm going to get down there soon/someday. I used to live and work in Miamisburg but I'm rarely down there these days.
First of all - love, love, love your avatar! I don't think he posts on Craig's list. I can't think of the name of the shop, but its window faces other side the little roundabout that goes around where the hamburger wagon sets up. He told me he has several machines in a storage room, but rarely displays them because they just don't sell. (?) Great, now I am hungry for a burger from the hamburger wagon...
No doubt, you frequent the Heart of Ohio shops in your city... That is where I bought one of my FW's.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 AM

I haven't been to Heart of Ohio in years but I'm very much due for a visit. Both my young children are in school now and I have time (hahahaha) to do some alone day shopping. The Urbana flea market was full of machines last weekend but I wasn't able to go (soccer) my mother sent me tons of pictures.

Springfield has a lot of opportunities for vintage machines, while I only have one right now I expect to be out of room in the next few months.

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
First of all - love, love, love your avatar! I don't think he posts on Craig's list. I can't think of the name of the shop, but its window faces other side the little roundabout that goes around where the hamburger wagon sets up. He told me he has several machines in a storage room, but rarely displays them because they just don't sell. (?) Great, now I am hungry for a burger from the hamburger wagon...
No doubt, you frequent the Heart of Ohio shops in your city... That is where I bought one of my FW's.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM

I guess that is why September is National Sewing month.