Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: decals/treadles question

decals/treadles question

I would like a treadle, but don't want a red eye since I already have 2. But every treadle I see that isn't a red eye is not a class 15 machine.... and I want to be able to swap out feet and bobbins.
    are there any treadles that are class 15 and don't have red eye decals?
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

The Class 15 machines never came with the red eye decals. The red eyes only came on the 66s. The reason you're seeing so many is Singer made a gazillion of them.

I've seen a few Singer 15 treadles, but it seems most of them are electric, or had been electrified.

Joe

Are you using back-clamping feet (66-1, which is what most of the red eyes I've seen are)? If so you're pretty much stuck with 66-1s as they're unique. Most of the Singer treadles I've seen are either 27/127 or 66.

I just found a class 15 with gingerbread decals on ebay... so I wonder how hard it is to marry a head and a cabinet??
    I went over to treadleon and looked around more- thanks for answering.
    Cil

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

pinkCastleDH,

Only the 66-1's used the back clamp feet. After a few years singer switched to the side clamp or low shank design and from then on the 66- ...... use those. There were far more later series -4 red eyes made than the -1 models. I've seen only a few -1s but many many -4s. I guess it might be a geographic thing.

makitmamma,
    All you have to do to run an electric machine on a treadle is put it in the cabinet, remove the motor belt and put on a treadle belt.
    That's it. Then you have a dual use machine.

Now, if you want the rotational inertial of the larger spoked hand wheel, you'll need to swap the small solid hand wheel for a spoked one. They do make a big difference in treadling. Also the belt cover / bobbin winder might need changed too. All those things can be had.

Joe

Joe - I have yet to see (in person) a red eye without back clamping feet so maybe it is regional I see on ISMACS that they list the 66-1 through 1923. One of ours is 1918 but that's the latest that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    Joe - I have yet to see (in person) a red eye without back clamping feet so maybe it is regional I see on ISMACS that they list the 66-1 through 1923. One of ours is 1918 but that's the latest that I've seen.
    Come over to my house, I have two 66-4s with low shank feet and one 66-1 with the back clamp feet. All red eyes. I think the back clamp feet was discontinued sometime in the early teens.
    My 66 machines are dated: back clamp, 66-1 - 1913, and low shank, 66-4s - 1919 and 1924.

Funny thing is I found the back clamp feet and accessories at the LSMG and had them for 4 months or so before we got the 66-1 to fit them last month. Kinda backwards but what the heck.

Joe

I've got two early teen's red eyes with back clamp feet, but worked last night on a friends 1925 red eye with side clamp feet. It is going to be gorgeous when we get done with it.
    Cil

I was misunderstanding you originally. Yes, there are class 15 machines out there for treadles, though they're not as common as 66's or 27/127s. Here's one semi-local to me:
    http://madison.craigslist.org/atq/3354418702.html
    and another:
    http://madison.craigslist.org/app/3342942722.html

Then again the same search probably netted 10-15 27/127 class and 6-8 66s so at least around here they don't appear to be common.

OK, I want both of those! although I wonder if the second is one of the 70's singer models... too bad I live so far away
    Cil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast