Dependent on zigzag

Old 08-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
Joe and others, Nancy's Notions has a bunch of cutting blades in different edges in the $8.00-9.00 price range.
Carol,
Will these specialty blades fit a regular rotary cutter handle, or do you have to buy a specialty handle too?

Joe
Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Aren't all those precut collections zigzag cut? Ask the same question over in quilting. I've never bought them, but you will probably gets lots of answers.

Piecing well is a combination of many things, all accomplished with accuracy at each stage.
Aren't those pre-cut quilt kits cut with a machine? Personally I don't like to sew on pinked edges. I like really straight smooth ones.

Accuracy at each stage takes practice, or so says my wife. She says I haven't been at it long enough so I should quit bashing myself.

Joe
Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Aren't all those precut collections zigzag cut? Ask the same question over in quilting. I've never bought them, but you will probably gets lots of answers.

Piecing well is a combination of many things, all accomplished with accuracy at each stage.
Some are, some aren't. The few that I've bought were priced low enough that I couldn't pass them up. My piecing has improved greatly in the 5 years I've been quilting, but I still have days where Jack(the ripper) is my best friend.

Cari
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Aren't those pre-cut quilt kits cut with a machine? Personally I don't like to sew on pinked edges. I like really straight smooth ones.

Accuracy at each stage takes practice, or so says my wife. She says I haven't been at it long enough so I should quit bashing myself.

Joe
Yes most pre cuts are done by machine. I find that if the pieces are accurately cut it doesn't matter to me if it's a straight or pinked cut.
Your wife is absolutely right.

Cari
Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Carol,
Will these specialty blades fit a regular rotary cutter handle, or do you have to buy a specialty handle too?

Joe
Joe, I bought a pinking blade for my rotary cutter and it's about the same price as a regular blade and yes they do fit my regular cutter. I don't use the pinking blade on my quilting blocks. I too, prefer the straight edge because it's easier to keep it straight against my seam guide.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I much prefer to work with straight cut edges when piecing.

I was not impressed with pinked edges 60 years ago, and I'm even less impressed with them now. If I remember correctly, the pinking was (usually) done after the seams were sewn?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I much prefer to work with straight cut edges when piecing.

I was not impressed with pinked edges 60 years ago, and I'm even less impressed with them now. If I remember correctly, the pinking was (usually) done after the seams were sewn?
I used pinking shears when I cut out my garment patterns. Never did pink them after seam was sewn.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I used pinking shears when I cut out my garment patterns. Never did pink them after seam was sewn.
Yes, that's the right way to do it, misseva.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Better Homes & Gardens Sewing Book - (c) 1961 - page 73

"Each section you have sewed together is now ready to be pinked and pressed. Pink the seam and then press it open. After you have sewed across the end of a seam, it is hard to pink it neatly because the seam edges are caught in a cross seam."

Last edited by bearisgray; 08-28-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Better Homes & Gardens Sewing Book - (c) 1961 - page 73

"Each section you have sewed together is now ready to be pinked and pressed. Pink the seam and then press it open. After you have sewed across the end of a seam, it is hard to pink it neatly because the seam edges are caught in a cross seam."
I'll try and find where I read it, but experienced dressmakers told me the same thing.
You need to know in advance which lines need pinking before starting and it's not all of them, so maybe it's an experience thing. Not saying your 60 years aren't experience, but the reference you quote is obviously a beginners book.

EDIT: First one I picked out! "The Pictorial Guide to Modern Home Dressmaking" (looks like 1930s) page 26.

Last edited by manicmike; 08-28-2014 at 06:04 PM.