Dependent on zigzag

Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 AM

Default Dependent on zigzag

I have always had a zigzag stitch for sewing; sewed a lifetime before getting interested in quilting. Zigzag is my friend and is always there fore reinforcement on a seem that is fraying or piece cut too small by a fraction and need to secure inseam. How do I break this paradigm in thinking? I am not one to get up from one machine and move to another just for a random seam. Anyone use pinking shears for piecing? I saw a rotary cutter at the quilt store that was selling like hot cakes, 60 bucks to boot, that had just a wee but of wave to minimal fraying and a quarter inch seam allowance could be maintained. (Pinking have to go to shy third inch.) anyone use one of these rotary cutters? It is not the same as sold at Joanne's or hobby lobby or regular places; the wave pattern was unique. Hence, I imagine, the price.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

When you use a straight stitch machine there are lots of options for finishing seams. I think I saw a manual about that on sew-classic's web pages.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:26 AM

I get the fear induced by seams being a smidge off. The beauty of quilting is that virtually all seams are crossed over at some point to help in the reinforecement department.

Using 100% cotton cuts down on fraying for the most part, provided your fabric is cut on grain. I did have one fabric (provided by my high end LQS for a sampler project) that was very stretchy and frayed a lot. I ended up cutting that particular fabric a tad large and then trimmed with the micro-pinking shears that I've had for decades. Once in the quilt; sewed over seams; quilting took care of any of those other issues.

I've never bothered with a wavy or pinking cutter in my quilting.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I get the fear induced by seams being a smidge off. The beauty of quilting is that virtually all seams are crossed over at some point to help in the reinforecement department.

Using 100% cotton cuts down on fraying for the most part, provided your fabric is cut on grain. I did have one fabric (provided by my high end LQS for a sampler project) that was very stretchy and frayed a lot. I ended up cutting that particular fabric a tad large and then trimmed with the micro-pinking shears that I've had for decades. Once in the quilt; sewed over seams; quilting took care of any of those other issues.

I've never bothered with a wavy or pinking cutter in my quilting.
WE learn something new almost everyday around here; never heard of micro pinking shears!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 AM

I do my best to sew equal and consistent seams, but I can't ever finish a quilt where everything lines up. I am fighting with myself to ditch that OCD symptom so I can enjoy my projects. I use too many different machines to piece with. Eventually I will decide which machine I like the best for piecing and that will help with the consistency.

As for the cutting I use a regular straight cut rotary cutter. Never used a pinker for quilting. I hate stretchy fabrics and try not to use them.
My wife and I do not have a lot of disposable income so we don't buy the high cost things like the specialty rotary cutters. I have a need for one with a normal pinking cutter, but no funds for it.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 08-26-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 AM

Changing habits is not easy. The reason people used pinking shears for sewing clothes was because the seam edges are exposed and rubbing against either your skin or other garments. Plus, with movement you are always putting stress on those seams and seam edges. You don't have any of that with quilts. The seams are inside and stitched down or across so there's no stretching. Everything stays put. So, it's okay not to use zig-zag. In fact, it's better not to use it for quilting. You want your seams flat.... not possible with zig-zag.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 AM

All the seams on a quilt except for maybe the binding are crossed over by other seams and since the allowances are inside, they don't wear and ravel like an exposed seam inside of clothing. There isn't any real tugging and pulling at the seams in a quilt either. Quilting also helps tie everything together. All of this is why you can use a 1/4" seam allowance and don't have to lock your seams while piecing. I can see where it takes some getting used to but it's probably much easier to go from clothing to quilts than it is the other way around.
Rodney
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Banned

Here's my $.02. I understand your thinking, coming from a garment sewing background myself. I was taught as a child to finish edges with pinking shears so they wouldn't fray. That's what my mom was taught. Back then, they didn't have zigzag machines(moms' era, not mine), and it wasn't until mid to late 70s(?) that overlock machines came on the market for home use. So I get what you're saying. Other people have already done a good job of telling you why zigzagging seams isn't necessary for making a quilt, but I don't think I'd buy that new gadget even if I could afford it. Every year there are lots of "The Newest Thing" hitting the market claiming to make our quilting lives easier. Some do, some don't. If you already own a pair of pinking shears you're ahead of that game. After all, if you think about it, many of the factory pre cuts are cut with pinked edges.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I do my best to sew equal and consistent seams, but I can't ever finish a quilt where everything lines up. I am fighting with myself to ditch that OCD symptom so I can enjoy my projects. I use too many different machines to piece with. Eventually I will decide which machine I like the best for piecing and that will help with the consistency.
As for the cutting I use a regular straight cut rotary cutter. Never used a pinker for quilting. I hate stretchy fabrics and try not to use them.
My wife and I do not have a lot of disposable income so we don't buy the high cost things like the specialty rotary cutters. I have a need for one with a normal pinking cutter, but no funds for it.

Joe
Joe and others, Nancy's Notions has a bunch of cutting blades in different edges in the $8.00-9.00 price range.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM

Aren't all those precut collections zigzag cut? Ask the same question over in quilting. I've never bought them, but you will probably gets lots of answers.

Piecing well is a combination of many things, all accomplished with accuracy at each stage.