Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do You Have a Favorite Vintage Machine >

Do You Have a Favorite Vintage Machine

Do You Have a Favorite Vintage Machine

Old 09-30-2012, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

My DH and I are so in love with the vintage/antique machines that my DH purchased sooooooo many that we had to put some of them in a different building (but they are protected). The one that I sew on all the time is my 1951 Singer Featherweight. I do FMQ on smaller projects on it also. I also love my 1903 Singer model 27 treadle. The cabinet is beautiful. Although I haven't been able to sew on it yet, I guess my very favorite machine would have to be my 1852 Grover and Baker Treadle machine. It is so unique. DH is working on the machine to refurbish it. The cabinet is made of Walnut and is a coffin lid cabinet. I can't wait. Just have to mention our 1890 Singer salesman machine. This is a hand crank miniature cast iron machine that the salesmen took to the farm houses to show how a sewing machine worked. It is different than a child's machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]366481[/ATTACH] It is probably about 10" long and about 9 to 10" high.

I have to agree with the others on the board. It is like trying to chose which child you like best.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 AM

Without doing a whole heckuva lot of checking, I have a White Model 77MG approximately 65 years old, which my husband bought for me for our first anniversary 51 years ago. It has been cleaned once, (professionally) (and me quite often), it had a new rubber put around the bobbin winder - actually it isn't new, the sewing machine man turned it around so the inside was on the outside and it works like new. (That was when he cleaned it and didn't charge me - said I would have trouble finding a new rubber band.) I did get a new Singer Precision (brand new) three years ago, which works fine, except there is something nice and quiet about an all steel (except for the rubber on the bobbin winder) that says something to you. Like "I'm here for the long haul.....pull me out when the plastic doesn't work!" And I have!!!!! Sort of like seeing a long lost friend! Other than that it has never once failed me. I have all the accessories for it - even a shirrer......which I don't even think I would be able to work it if I tried....most I have never even tried. It even has a thing that you put on the back of the machine that holds the quilt down when you are quilting. One good machine!!!!! Edie
Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 AM

well in all honesty the only ones of my vintage machines I have actually sewn on is my 301, FW, and my oldest treadle, the 1873 Domestic. The others are in my studio waiting on it to be done and cleared out so they can be put into useful places instead of huddled in a mass in one corner. Maybe I'm a traitor to admit it but right now nearly 100% of my sewing is done on my new Viking Ruby because its set up temporarily in the corner of my bedroom. I still resort to my Bernina 1260 for uniforms though because I have the easiest time doing FM with it- a handy trait when sewing on all those weird shaped military patches and ranks.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I haven't seen real many with all metal parts I don't like. The older machines are just so well made - what's not to love.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM

My favorites are: Singer 15-91, Singer 201, Singer featherweight, Singer Red Eye (model 66). A close second goes to my late 70s Kenmore, which I bought new, a 1902 Singer 27 treadle, and a 1957 mauve/pink Kenmore 158.351. All of my machines are in good working order, with the exception of a 1930s Singer 101 and an age unknown White Rotary which started life as a treadle and was later electrified.