Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you relegate any vintage machines to a specific task?

Do you relegate any vintage machines to a specific task?

I do with one machine. Mr Crinkle:
    Name:  Mr Crinkle _ web.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  106.1 KB
    Mr. Crinkle is a Singer 66-18 made in 1938.

I make custom felt cylinder and other bags to sell,
    ((Here's a link to what I make and sell: { http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...p?f=42&t=31930 }))

When we first started making these bags my wife did all the sewing. I did the pinking, hole punching, threading, and shipping. She used the Bernina, and or what ever machine was handy. Some of them sewed the felt really good, some not so good.
    As I got into sewing and gained more skill and experience, I've taken to doing the whole process.

When I got Mr Crinkle he was beat up with a broken thread take up lever and a smashed motor. After fixing those and doing some adjustments I found this one machine will sew felt really good. So, Mr. Crinkle is my felt machine. He lives in a Chinese bentwood case and always works great when I make bags.

So, what's the importance of this thread, nothing. I just got 4 bags packaged and ready for shipment and thought I'd share my felt machine. And ask if anyone else relegates their vintage machines to a specific task.

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    And ask if anyone else relegates their vintage machines to a specific task.
    I found that my VS2 is really good at making buttonholes. It's handy in the lounge so I'll use the 320k to make a garment then pop it onto the VS2 for buttonholes. The VS2 could sew everything, but the electric machine will do it more quickly, but isn't great at buttonholes (particularly on several layers of denim - breaks needles).
    Having a couple of machines set up for specific tasks saves time. It takes too long to swap feet and attachments, screw in cover plates, etc. and I occasionally forget to do something (adjust tensions, foot pressure etc.) I did a test button hole recently on the VS2 after the attachment had been put away. I'd forgotten to cover the feed dog and instantly ruined the fabric, so now I just leave the buttonholer and FD cover on and it's ready to go.
    My Singers: 12k (1883), VS2 Painted Red and Cream Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), 15k (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 28k (1911), 66 Lotus (1922), 96k41 (1947), 96k41 (1949), 201k (1953), 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 306k, 2x320k2(1959), 411g
    Others: Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260, '50s Myer Singer 15 clone, Lemair (1960s)