Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do you service your attachments too? >

Do you service your attachments too?

Do you service your attachments too?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Default Do you service your attachments too?

I just trotted in happily with my cleaned up Singer 301, popped it into the card table, reached into the bag of goodies and eww! The zig zagger and the buttonhole attachment are gross.

I usually clean up the extra feet, although most of them that come with my machines have seen little to no use. People don't seem to change attachments that often.

I've never really checked out these bigger attachment units. Do you disassemble? Or do you just wipe them off?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 PM

It depends. I clean the rust off as well as I can if they need it and wipe them down with a bit of oil. If they have moving parts like a buttonholer, they get oiled just like a sewing machine would. A bit of oil on everything that moves. IIRC Singer included instructions for oiling their buttonholers. So far I haven't taken any apart.
Rodney
Old 05-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I just trotted in happily with my cleaned up Singer 301, popped it into the card table, reached into the bag of goodies and eww! The zig zagger and the buttonhole attachment are gross. I usually clean up the extra feet, although most of them that come with my machines have seen little to no use. People don't seem to change attachments that often. I've never really checked out these bigger attachment units. Do you disassemble? Or do you just wipe them off?
Yes. The Greist made, ( Includes Singer, Kenmore, White, Domestic and others) button hollers, zig zagers, rufflers and other accessories actually have maintenance instructions in the owners manuals. They are mechanical devices with metal to metal moving parts and as such need oil and sometimes grease. As with any thing like this they also need periodic cleaning. So, the more you use them, the more you need to maintain them. Just like your sewing machines. When I get a new to me button holler I take the cover off and clean it. Then oil and grease it. Same with all the other accessories. Joe
Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Yeah, me too! If they have moving parts, like buttonholers & rufflers, they need oiled. Like Rodney said, the book that came with the buttonholers showed where to oil & where to grease.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:46 PM

Modern walking & hopping feet need frequent cleaning/dusting & oiling, too.