Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about a machine like this?

Blog Entries
    Would you have paid $25 for a machine similar to this?
    Do you know anything about it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Thats a cool machine. I would pay $25 for it.

Blog Entries
    Here is a google search....lots of info. http://www.google.com/search?q=Domes...ed=0CDEQ_AUoAQ

I have a Domestic in a cabinet I got for $20.00 at a church sale. It has the Crinkle finish too. I just love the looks of these machines. Mine is a a 1943 model. Mine also has the knee lift. The machine is in perfect condition. I haven't been able to try it yet because my Dad took the machine out of the cabinet to refinish it before I could try it out. I'm sure it will work fine. I also have a Montgomery Ward made by National. 1932. Once you get it cleaned up at oiled I think you will love this machine. Nice heavy duty one with a big throat. Good find. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I probably would not get this machine. It is missing the needle plate, which would cost a little money to replace. It's really not a collectible machine, although interesting. Looks like a Godzilla finish, which isn't particularly charming for me. Also likely a very heavy machine.

On the other thread you mentioned an arm protruding from the front. However, I don't see a hole in the base. Some of the older machines did not have a foot pedal and instead were operated by a knee bar. The knee bar would be stored in the wooden cover when not in use, and inserted into the hole in the base when needed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I probably would not get this machine. It is missing the needle plate, which would cost a little money to replace. It's really not a collectible machine, although interesting. Looks like a Godzilla finish, which isn't particularly charming for me. Also likely a very heavy machine.

On the other thread you mentioned an arm protruding from the front. However, I don't see a hole in the base. Some of the older machines did not have a foot pedal and instead were operated by a knee bar. The knee bar would be stored in the wooden cover when not in use, and inserted into the hole in the base when needed.
    This isn't the actual picture of the machine. I found this pic on the internet somewhere and it looked similar. The one at the sale said that it worked well. I hadn't heard of it before, so I was unsure whether or not to get it.
    The handle I was talking about in the previous thread ended up being the casing for the light. (I didn't look at the machine very close at the sale because I lost interest when it wasn't a featherweight.)

Banned
    I have a machine like this. It is an early domestic rotary machine with a shuttle type bobbin. They were sold by Sears.

Cant remember where or how much I paid for mine. I dont use it because rotary machines do not run smoothly. The little round rubber wheels gets lop sided and causes lots of problems.

However, for collectiblity sake, it is an interesting little machine.

I wouldnt pay $25 for it.. maybe $5 or $10.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info, JCquilts. I'm glad I didn't pick it up. I have 4 machines already...probably don't need another.

Blog Entries
    FAb! it looks like a work horse. I can't help with info But you are lucky!

I have one--she will be going to Tomilu soon for her makeover---has been sitting unused for many years....they are pretty good workhorses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast