Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Does anyone know anything about this machine? >

Does anyone know anything about this machine?

Does anyone know anything about this machine?

Old 04-09-2017, 04:01 PM

Default Does anyone know anything about this machine?

I inherited this machine from my mother, it used to belong to her mother. I haven't plugged it in because the cords are in really bad shape. I didn't know if it might be an oldie worth something or just an oldie. Thank you for looking.
Attached Thumbnails img_0180.jpg   img_0183.jpg   img_0182.jpg   img_0181.jpg   img_0186.jpg  

Old 04-09-2017, 05:51 PM

I'm no expert, but I would say the machine is just an old machine. It appears to me to be a Japanese 15 clone. Some of those are desirable, but not terribly valuable. If the are in pristine condition and pink, blue or some other color than black, you could get a few bucks for it. It probably sews well, though. You might give it to someone who needs a sewing machine

The cabinet is nice, though.

I hope someone contradicts me.

bkay
Old 04-09-2017, 07:41 PM

Definitely NOT a Japanese clone - see http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html Lots of differences between this machine and the later Japanese machines.

Definitely worth something, as far as I'm concerned any old machine is worth saving from the dump or being repurposed. It can be rewired. It is a direct drive and probably the rubber drive has a dent in it. It might be able to be replaced or rejuvenated. Hopefully, you have some of the other feet for it, as the top clamp feet came in many different flavors.

That is a neat cabinet. Comparatively, it looks to be in fairly good shape and shouldn't be too hard to get looking pretty nice. Glenn's wood cabinet tutorial (which I can't find right now) has a formula that is fairly simple and makes the wood look good. I like the design.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-09-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 PM

It's a badged Free Rotary of Free Westinghouse fame. The cabinet is rather unusual and nice. Best to check the local Craigslist for value though it's not great. Greatest value is probably as an heirloom and getting it back into good shape for use.

Jon
Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 AM

At an auction on Saturday, I bought a 1938 Featherweight. It had been serviced many years ago and put in a closet. It has all the attachments, book, case, etc. But it also has a smell. I think it is the oil that has turned rancid. It smells like my grandmother's house, a bad urine sort of smelly smell. Can I deodorize it? Smells really bother me now that I'm OLD!

Marcia
Old 04-10-2017, 07:16 AM

I love it! That is a pretty cabinet as well and I agree, old machines should be saved if for anything because of the parts. They don't build things like they used to.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:25 AM

quiltnmom, I google searched for information about your machine. This is what I found: Elgin Sewing Machine Co., manufactured sewing machines in Illinois from 1896-1898. Then it became Elgin Sewing Machine & Bicycle Co., from 1898-1899 when it closed. So you have a very old machine. I could find nothing about that cabinet, but because of the raised emblem on the front, would believe it to be very old also. I found this information on List of American Sewing Machine Manufacturers A to Z.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=OurWorkbench;7801469]Definitely NOT a Japanese clone
I don't know that much about the older machines but just knowing it came from my grandmother and the cabinet is beautiful in my eyes. I would do what I could to clean it up even it only to use a little furniture polish on the cabinet. Not hard to replace cording. You may be pleasantly surprised by the stitching it produces. I would give it my best shot. Take a warm cloth to it and see how it wipes the dirt away. You don't know til you try.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:22 AM

I have a fairly modern Elgin sewing machine. I would guess it was made in the 60's (It is a zig-zag machine with a place for cams that I do not possess). So, the fact that Elgin ceased manufacturing in 1899 does not indicate this machine is from that era. It's a electric machine, which doesn't appear to have been a treadle. That puts it newer than the 1899 time frame.

According to jlhnj, It's an Elgin badged machine made by Free Westinghouse. I just googled free westinghouse machines and there are several on ebay that are in better condition and are listed for $25.00 to $50.00.

Quiltnmom wants to know if it has any value. She means monetary value. She doesn't mean sentimental value. Since she's a member here, she already sews and has a machine. My guess is that she's looking for information to make a decision on whether to keep it.

I don't think it has much, if any, monetary value. Someone who isn't a sewing machine geek will look for a far newer or better looking machine. A sewing machine geek will look for something more unusual, in better condition or older. So, for all those who think she should keep it, "How much would you pay for it?" and, "How much would you pay for the cabinet?" Would you spend any money to add it to your collection? Do you need another cabinet, even a really pretty one?

Quiltingmom, I've noticed that people are using vintage sewing machine cabinets for hall/entry tables because they are small.

bkay
Old 04-10-2017, 10:43 AM

I am not a sewing machine expert either, but I think it would have sentimental value having been your grandmothers, passed on to your mother and now to you. I did check out e_Bay and noticed that the majority of the machines listed were White Rotary's, a Florence Rotary and a New Leader Rotary, whereas your machine is an Elgin Rotary with the Elgin manufacturing label on it that the others did not have. I think you could probably research some more to see what you can come up with. Good luck.