Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Does Anyone Know of a Source for Vintage Parts? >

Does Anyone Know of a Source for Vintage Parts?

Does Anyone Know of a Source for Vintage Parts?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 AM

Default Does Anyone Know of a Source for Vintage Parts?

I need a rheostat for my 1921 Singer 128.
She sews great but runs REALLY slow. DH looked at her and determined the rheostat is only moving halfway across the power connection on the rheostat.
DH is a maintenance mechanic but has never worked on a sewing machine so I'm not sure I want him to take her apart, since she runs but runs slowly.
Any suggestions from all of you that work on your own beaties would be wonderful.
I recently posted pics of her in the main section the thread titled 'How Old Is Vintage' as I was considering selling her and was convinced to keep her.
I had know idea she was that old!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:45 AM

You can get new foot controls from many sources for example SewClassic.com. If you're looking to get vintage parts specifically, you can try your local sewing repair shops or ebay.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 AM

You can also try Thayer Rags Parts { http://thayerrags.com/ }. CD is a member here and I've done business with him several times.

"Generally" foot controllers can be cleaned, adjusted and / or repaired. I've done several. They will usually come apart with a couple screws and there are just two wire connections inside. If you are good at searches do one about foot controllers. I've posted pics here within the last couple weeks showing the insides of a couple different vintage foot controllers.

Or if you can't find a vintage one you can try Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }. They have both the old style resistance type and the new electronic types. I've bought some of each from them and they work well, even if they are not vintage looking.

Oh yeah, make sure the machine and motor are clean and properly lubed. Dirty and or gummed up machines and motors will not run properly.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 08-04-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 AM

J Miller: Please PM me with a question or two about a Rocketeer (freebie, that I am going to clean up and get running all by myself)....
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
You can also try Thayer Rags Parts { http://thayerrags.com/ }. CD is a member here and I've done business with him several times.

"Generally" foot controllers can be cleaned, adjusted and / or repaired. I've done several. They will usually come apart with a couple screws and there are just two wire connections inside. If you are good at searches do one about foot controllers. I've posted pics here within the last couple weeks showing the insides of a couple different vintage foot controllers.

Or if you can't find a vintage one you can try Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }. They have both the old style resistance type and the new electronic types. I've bought some of each from them and they work well, even if they are not vintage looking.

Oh yeah, make sure the machine and motor are clean and properly lubed. Dirty and or gummed up machines and motors will not run properly.

Joe
Thanks Joe and Candace. The motor is clean and good.
This machine has a knee control so no foot pedal to try taking a look at.
Maybe there is an option to convert to a foot pedal.
I will look at this website and the one mentioned by you and Candace.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 PM

kelsunshine

The knee action controller is just a redesigned foot controller. Same principle, so the cleaning and fixing if possible should be the same.

Joe
Old 08-05-2012, 04:48 AM

For vintage parts: http://www.sewingmachineparts.net/ Great to deal with - just call him and tell him what you need. He is very helpful and knows sewing machines!