Domestic on the job.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:20 AM

The problem was not that it self combusted in the MW - but that it did it later after the cook had left the kitchen. I love the idea, but like most, there is a potential danger. If you are aware, you take precautions - like leaving the cloth sit on a stone counter until it's cool - then put it away. I don't put hot potholders away either, but they cool down pretty fast.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:37 AM

I love this idea, and think I'll compromise. I'll use them to set the hot bowl in after I use hotpads to take it out of the microwave. Then I can safely carry it or set it on my desk (finish could be marred by the heat). From reading, it sounds like a lot of the problems are due to hot spots in microwaves, along with then being a bit dirty (from dripped food). The hard part will be making them so they fit my bowls LOL!!

Besides, it's often enough I've got a too hot to handle bowl from dishing up something heated on the stovetop, in fact that is probably way more often than from the microwave.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:54 AM

I tested one last week. A soup bowl of water in a 1000w microwave. The water, if it was soup, would be too hot to consume. I think the time was 2 min. 15 sec. I will now do several more timed test in an older microwave outside to see what it would take to light one off??? I used only 100% cotton, I repeat 100% cotton fabric, batting and thread in my projects. I also noted that these bowl liners are readily available for sale on the net. Not sure why some have ignited, but I hope to find out.

Soman2
T O R
Old 12-22-2014, 02:38 PM

I've not heard of them igniting IN the microwave. I have heard about them igniting afterwards - so something is getting hot enough to start to smolder after being hung up. I think having food spilled on them and not washed would be a possibility. The good part about them being bowl holders, you are going to have them out for a while (while you are eating) so they have time to cool down before being put away.

And it could be that this will only happen with very specific situation - including something going on with hot spots in the microwave so if your microwave had a turn table and no bad hot spots, it may never happen. Ever had a glass of water explode on you? I've only had it happen once, and I was lucky that it did it before I opened up the door. I wanted boiling water and it just wasn't boiling . . . . so I kept heating it. I've probably been boiling water in microwaves for 40 years (my folks got one when they first came out) and it's only happened once. I forget what my kids did that started a fire in the microwave . . . if I recall correctly, it was something that should not have gone in there in the first place - and lit up rather quickly.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 PM

This post from the QB says that it lit inside the MW. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...re-t77011.html

I've seen people report it both ways in the MW, after it's removed. Lots of people report that they used all cotton others don't know because they were gifts. One post I read said they used Warm and Natural which is NOT 100% cotton, it has a Scrim. One other person in the same thread later on said they used 80/20.... oi.

There's a lot that probably needs to be tested to find out what's causing it but I agree that it's likely the left over left overs on the bags / bowls, or high wattage microwaves, or hot spots, time in the sauna, or some combination of factors, since so many people seem to report the same materials used and such different results.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:44 AM

I did not see the post on QB - this is the post I'm refering to. She says it was a gift so no idea what it was made from.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/cou...iscussion.html