Domestic treadle

Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Domestic treadle

I've been lucky enough to have been gifted a Domestic D fiddle based treadle vibrating shuttle treadle sewing machine. I consider lucky because it came with a velvet lined tin box with Domestic marked attachments, and an original paper manual. My problem is that while I am very familiar with my Singer 15-91's Andrew my 201-2, this is my first contact with a treadle, let alone a Domestic brand machine. I applied to Needlebar and was granted access but my password doesn't work and I'm "not authorized" to change it. (And yes I wrote an email to Alan which is still yet to be answered). So, if anyone can shed light on my machine or when it was made, or if you have one and want a digital copy of the user manual, let me know. I'll make the manual available to any member of this site for no charge. ~scott
Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM

I hope you figure it out!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandpirate09 View Post
I've been lucky enough to have been gifted a Domestic D fiddle based treadle vibrating shuttle treadle sewing machine. I consider lucky because it came with a velvet lined tin box with Domestic marked attachments, and an original paper manual. My problem is that while I am very familiar with my Singer 15-91's Andrew my 201-2, this is my first contact with a treadle, let alone a Domestic brand machine. I applied to Needlebar and was granted access but my password doesn't work and I'm "not authorized" to change it. (And yes I wrote an email to Alan which is still yet to be answered). So, if anyone can shed light on my machine or when it was made, or if you have one and want a digital copy of the user manual, let me know. I'll make the manual available to any member of this site for no charge. ~scott
My DH baught me a new electric Domestic sewing machine in 1959. After using it for 20 some yrs. I thought I wanted a newer machine, so I sold it. Ever since I have been sorry, but now I don't have room for more machines, but I would just love to see one again. When I saw Domestic on this thread , I just perked right up but yours is a treadle. Do you know if this was a machine made by the White co.? I think if the one I had is still around, it probably still works.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Scott, sending you a PM about Needlebar....will see if I can help you get in!
I don't know much about the Domestic machines other than they were bought out in 1924 by White, but they were maintained as a subsidiary (according to ISMACS)

I did find this website in a search....looks like the "D" on this page was made AFTER 1910, because of the last patent date on the machine:
http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html

Last edited by Charlee; 02-23-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Scott, sending you a PM about Needlebar....will see if I can help you get in!
I don't know much about the Domestic machines other than they were bought out in 1924 by White, but they were maintained as a subsidiary (according to ISMACS)

I did find this website in a search....looks like the "D" on this page was made AFTER 1910, because of the last patent date on the machine:
http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html
Originally Posted by sandpirate09 View Post
The Fiddle Base was made in 1880- to I think about 1900, I have one from 1880s It is a beautiful machine, but is the only one that I have seen or heard of that turns clockwise at the hand wheel. It can be hard for some people to get used to. Mine has many attachments that I am trying to figure out, it does embroidery, and I have a partial original book that I have taped back together. Hope you enjoy