Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dressmaster 127, Another Crinkle >

Dressmaster 127, Another Crinkle

Dressmaster 127, Another Crinkle

Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Dressmaster 127, Another Crinkle

This machine is another find by my OJCG. He gave me a call on Saturday that he found an absolutely clean sewing machine at an estate sale and it was one I should not pass up. I think he was more excited at the find than I was. She joined the herd/hoard yesterday. I gave the usual oiling and plugged it in this morning and she purrs wonderfully.

This Dressmaster Rotary Sewing Machine was made by White Sewing Machine company in 1941, serial number 127-58671. According to the seller it was used by his mother all of the time and was well maintained. I can see that this is true. The machine is immaculate, wiring is perfect (yes, perfect), no thumps from the drive wheel, and the crinkle finish looks like new. The case has some flaws but is still very nice. The foot controller is missing the white bakelite knob but otherwise is as nice as the sewing machine.

She came with a box of rotary attachments and the instruction manual. In addition were two singer items, a very nice Singer buttonholer manual and a circular stitcher for a Singer Touch and Sew.
Attached Thumbnails tango-more-006.jpg   tango-more-008.jpg   tango-more-011.jpg   tango-more-012.jpg   tango-more-013.jpg  

Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM

I have one of those machines too. They are nice. Mine came minus the wiring so I had to get a slightly different motor for it to match the cord set I got from Sew-Classic. And I don't have a box. Mine came with the bottom that slides down into a box, rather than is the bottom of the box.

Do you think you could take a close up pic of your presser foot and do some measurements of it for me? I still haven't found an original foot. I've got a real good one, but it's not original. Knowing the actual measurements could help me find the right ones for my machine.

Where do you find the dates of manufacturer for these machines?

Joe
Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I have one of those machines too. They are nice. Mine came minus the wiring so I had to get a slightly different motor for it to match the cord set I got from Sew-Classic. And I don't have a box. Mine came with the bottom that slides down into a box, rather than is the bottom of the box.

Do you think you could take a close up pic of your presser foot and do some measurements of it for me? I still haven't found an original foot. I've got a real good one, but it's not original. Knowing the actual measurements could help me find the right ones for my machine.

Where do you find the dates of manufacturer for these machines?

Joe
Serial number dates for White Sewing Machines is on Webshots. Go figure. At one point I saved it on my old computer, now on a new one.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78886693lsIAUe

I will go out and take some pics and do some measurements of the presser foot for you a little later.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Caroline,

Thanks, your lists show mine to be a 1955 vintage. I thought it was older, but I don't mind.

What I'm looking for as far the measurements go is from the top of the foot where it clamps onto the shaft to the bottom surface.
Then from where the top bends down to where the needle passes through the foot.
Also is the cut out on the clamp part off set with where the needle passes through the foot, or in line with it?

I think that should do it.

Joe
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Caroline,

Thanks, your lists show mine to be a 1955 vintage. I thought it was older, but I don't mind.

What I'm looking for as far the measurements go is from the top of the foot where it clamps onto the shaft to the bottom surface.
Then from where the top bends down to where the needle passes through the foot.
Also is the cut out on the clamp part off set with where the needle passes through the foot, or in line with it?

I think that should do it.

Joe
Did not get the measurements for you yesterday. Will do it today for sure. I may have a doner machine with a presser foot that will match. Will check that also.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your lovely find! Happy sewing!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Did not get the measurements for you yesterday. Will do it today for sure. I may have a doner machine with a presser foot that will match. Will check that also.
Here are the pics Joe. If I were as smart as you are I would learn to edit the pics so I could put the arrows, letters and numbers on the pics. One more thing to add to my bucket list.

The height of the presser foot is .75 inches
The length of the foot is 1.5 inches
The width of the foot is .75 inches

Let me know if you need more info
Attached Thumbnails tango-127-foot-045.jpg   tango-127-foot-044.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Caroline,

Thanks for the pics, they'll do just fine.

One question, are those squares 1"?

Joe
Old 10-18-2012, 06:44 AM

Caroline,

Thanks for the pics, they'll do just fine.

One question, are those squares 1"?

Joe
Yep, presser foot is sitting on a cutting mat.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM

The Whites (and Kenmores & Domestics) from the late 40's-50's came with this foot http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MIXE...item5d358213b0 ...it's hinged. Use the "mouse over image" feature to get a really close look. I've also got the foot from Caroline's machine....they're interchangeable. I have a White 77 Rotary.

Last edited by path49; 10-18-2012 at 09:06 AM.