Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dug out the old Fashion Mate 252; please bear with me >

Dug out the old Fashion Mate 252; please bear with me

Dug out the old Fashion Mate 252; please bear with me

Old 04-04-2015, 11:43 AM

Red face Dug out the old Fashion Mate 252; please bear with me

In the summer of 1975 my dear Grandmother (who raised me) bought a Singer Fashion Mate 252 for me. I was sewing a wedding dress and veil. She thought the fabrics were "too delicate" to be sewn on our workhorse of a Singer treadle, which she bought, used, in the 1930s.

Fast forward. I've dragged that Singer Fashion Mate 252 with me around the world and coast to coast. It fit my gypsy lifestyle for decades. It has pieced quilts, mended clothes, made curtains, costumes, baby blankets, dog beds, and sewn military patches on uniforms both foreign and domestic. I made a set of Red, White, and Blue gowns for a friend's Independence Day wedding. I taught a niece, a nephew, and two neighbors "how to sew" with it. It was retired about 12 years ago when DH surprised me with an all-the-whistles-and-bells Bernina and I was also given a vintage Pfaff 130.

I had long ago learned to dismantle, clean, and oil the 252 in order to keep it running. It was a floor model and I had never seen the instruction manual until the late 1990s. It never sewed perfectly, but I made it work.

Fast forward, again, to discovering and joining this wonderful board. I cannot let the old 252 go even though I doubt I'll ever sew anything with it again. It holds too many memories not to keep. I pulled it out of the storage closet last night to put its Model No. in my inventory app. Guess what? It does not have a Model or Serial Number, at least not ones that I could find.

The motor is stamped "Made in France," and the body, on the post facing the bed, is stamped "Made in Italy." There are no other markings. How would I find a Model No. or when it was made?

There is a long metal rod under the bed imprinted MI192189, but that does not seem to be a Model No.

The machine is avocado and fern green. It is in the original two-piece carrying case, but the hinges connecting the machine to the case base are missing. Where could I find these hinges? Or even just what they are called?

There was apparently a long-lost large screw to connect the center of the base to the bottom of the machine. I think I've found that part on-line. For all the moves over all the years, I still have the three original feet that came with the machine.

Thanks to reading this forum I now know what the "bobbin tire" is, and that I need to replace it! While I had the top open, hoping to find a hint of a Model No., I gave it a really good oiling.

I want to tweak, clean, and oil the Fashion Mate 252 some more and then tuck it back in the closet to resume exuding good memories. I'll keep busy stitching away on the Singer 15-91, the Pfaff 130, or the new Bernina.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Wow, I would say you have used your fashion-mate. Did you look under the machine, on the edge plate for the model number? Most machines have a # there. You also have 3 more perfect ones. My machines have the numbers closer to the balance wheel end,only on the front edge. I know this isn't much help.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:26 PM

From what I've seen of Singer cases (no, I haven't seen them all, there could be exceptions) you will either have hinges or the screw in the bottom-not both. Are there actual holes in the case for the hinges to fit in? It sounds like it's been a great machine for you. Get it back in shape again and sew on it a bit. The only thing worse than running a machine is letting it sit.
Rodney
Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Hi Rodney! Yes, it has tabs on the back of the lower case for the hinges. I think I remember the hinges bolt to the machine from the inside? There is a metal bar on the bottom of the lower case; you pull it forward before tilting the machine back on the hinges. I suppose it tilted back to store small items under the machine. I used to keep my "emergency funds" there!

Hi Barny - Yes; I was always sewing something with the 252. During all those years it never once crossed my mind to actually purchase another machine. After all, I could keep this one sewing after a fashion. "Had machine; will sew." When I lived in the barracks I'd trade sewing patches and insignias on uniforms in exchange for the guys polishing my boots so many times, or changing the oil, etc., in my car. Win-win.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:53 PM

If you aren't going to sew on it, don't oil it. My favorite repairman told me years ago to never oil my Elna and put it away. Make something to distribute the oil though the parts first. I'm sure some of the brown dried oil globs we deal with - like in my 404 - are from someone not following this advice.

That Fashionmate doesn't owe you anything! You gave it a real workout for that type of machine.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 PM

I have a lot of "dog blankets and sheets" and that always need a rip sewn. The younger dog, Sam, likes to chew. Once I have possession of the sewing room again I may save the 252 for dog repairs.

I was reminded of another couple jobs I did with this machine.

An older friend was being inducted (?) into the Order of the Eastern Star and needed a formal-type dress. This was the 1970s; she chose a lightweight poly knit material. I made the white, floor length, A-line dress. It had a full-length center seam, a wide pointed collar, with a short open V-neck, sheer long sleeves with cuffs made from the dress material. My Grandmother made the two buttonholes on the cuffs by hand; I did every thing else and we were all pleased with it. I need to find, and scan that photo. Precious memories.

Another reoccurring job was to turn the collars on a co-worker's BDU uniforms. He was a Master Sergeant and could certainly afford to replace his uniforms as often as necessary, but he would pay me to turn the collars when they were starting to look tired. They were set on a band above the shirt neckline; I'd pick the seam out with a seam ripper, turn the collar around, re-seam it and by being careful with the stitch width, you could not tell it had been done. He stretched more wear out of the uniform and I had a little more pocket money. I was a Sgt. and managed to just fine to replace my uniforms; I didn't turn my collars. But to each his own.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:32 PM

252 is the model number and it fits with the long list of Comprehensive Singer Sewing Machine Model List information. I have no idea how to get a serial number from Singers of that age though.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:22 PM

Serial number is on the lip under the bed.
Model number should be on the plate around the stitch controls or near there.

Joe
Old 04-04-2015, 06:31 PM

Sorry, no plate around the stitch control. She's bare bones. I'm going to pull it out, again, and check the lip for a Serial No.
Attached Thumbnails dsc02546.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 06:33 PM

Rodney, this one is for you, showing the base where the hinges would go.

The discoloration is old, now-dry, oil drips. It is clean; it just looks icky.
Attached Thumbnails dsc02554-640x480-.jpg