Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is it dying?

Is it dying?

I nearly finished fmq-ing a queen sized quilt on my 15-91. My motor has begun to serge. When it first started I stopped, unplugged the machine and felt the motor. It was fairly warm, so I let it cool down. And it's still surging. Is this something that some cleaning and oiling maybe able to repair? Or am I in need of a new motor? I was so close to finishing this quilt

Blog Entries
    How long has it been since you've greased the motor?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

It's been a bit over a year now.

If greasing it doesn't help, it may need a cleaning. Bennett posted a motor cleaning tutorial that would help you. Try the grease tube first though!
    Also, double check the belt. Sometimes a slipping belt or too tight belt will cause the motor to make strange noises and do what you're describing.

Blog Entries
    I'm betting, that if you use this machine much at all, that grease is going to help a LOT! Do you have a manual that will tell you how to grease the motor?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Hi Charlee..
    Think I really need help.. I have a Singer 66, and Singer 99.. I've ben told not to grease the motors, as it will ruin them.. I see the two holes on the sides of the motor, and have a tbe of lube at the ready.. Please advise me.. I don't want to kill either machine.. They have become like family..
    Barri
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I'm betting, that if you use this machine much at all, that grease is going to help a LOT! Do you have a manual that will tell you how to grease the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
    Hi Charlee..
    Think I really need help.. I have a Singer 66, and Singer 99.. I've ben told not to grease the motors, as it will ruin them.. I see the two holes on the sides of the motor, and have a tbe of lube at the ready.. Please advise me.. I don't want to kill either machine.. They have become like family..
    Barri
    Barri,

I have in front of me as I type this an original Singer Mdl 66-16 owners manual.
    On page 28 it says:
    To Lubricate the Motor
    NEVER USE OIL ANYWHERE ON THE MOTOR.
    When the machine is shipped from the factory, the two motor grease tubes (B, Fig. 24) are filled with sufficient lubricant for approximately six months' use under ordinary circumstances.

At least once every six months thereafter, these grease tubes should be refilled with the "SINGER" Motor Lubricant, furnished with the machine. To do this, insert the tip of the tube of lubricant into the hole at the top of each of the grease tubes and force the lubricant through each hole until both grease tubes are filled.
    This is for Singer factory motors, other brands do take oil. But Singers use grease. It comes in plastic tubes now so don't squeeze too hard or the tube will split at the bottom. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
    Who ever told you not to grease Singer motors does not know what they are talking about and does not deserve your business.

Joe

Thank you so much. I've got it packed back up in the cabinet, and am too exhausted to pull it back up tonight. thE quilt is in the washer though . In the morning I'll clean and grease it, and cross my fingers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
    Hi Charlee..
    Barri
    You don't want to oil or grease your motor more than once a year or so...that will burn them up, but they do need to be lubed, type of lube depending on what brand the motor is.

Charlee, you are such a wealth of good information! Shnnn, the good news is that if the motor is beyond lubing, replacement motors are available. My 75 year old model 15 is carrying a replacement motor, but a cheaply priced beige box. I hope to buy a potted motor when $$ permits.
    Shirley in Arizona