Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ebay Alert!  Huge Lot Singer Hand Crank Treadle Sewing Machines 70+ near Canton >

Ebay Alert! Huge Lot Singer Hand Crank Treadle Sewing Machines 70+ near Canton

Ebay Alert! Huge Lot Singer Hand Crank Treadle Sewing Machines 70+ near Canton

Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
HHHMMMMM anybody want to divide it up???
Nope, I want 'em all. I want to be the one to clean and refurbish then sell and make some money .... for a change. After I'd pick out the ones ( just a few ) I'd keep, I'd be glad to give all the QB members a big discount.

Joe
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Moderators, that wasn't a sales pitch I just made up there, just a fantasy ....

Joe
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM

I have been looking for a Singer treadle. Just because they are so pretty. I drove thru Canton over the weekend. Wish I had known I could have stopped and loked. About 20 miles from me.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:05 PM

I've seriously considered a bid because we will be going through there in a couple of weeks, but yes, the seller has no idea what she has, and there aren't any featherweights. I sent her a message but no reply. She's set herself up for having ro refund the purchase price and potentially lose those machines because the buyer can easily open a SNAD case against her and get a full refund.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo View Post
Is this it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-LOT-SIN...item4171d51da2

Not far from me, but what would I do with all that!
Good GRAVY!! Wouldn't we all love to pick through that! Cabinets, cases, machines...oh my!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
I've seriously considered a bid because we will be going through there in a couple of weeks, but yes, the seller has no idea what she has, and there aren't any featherweights. I sent her a message but no reply. She's set herself up for having ro refund the purchase price and potentially lose those machines because the buyer can easily open a SNAD case against her and get a full refund.
What is a SNAD case?
We have not sold or bought in our names for several years on eBay and this is something I/we know nothing about.

Elaine
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
What is a SNAD case?
We have not sold or bought in our names for several years on eBay and this is something I/we know nothing about.

Elaine
Stuff Not As Described? Just a guess...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM

The ad's been changed. No reference of featherweights anymore.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Miriam, I'd be tempted to split them up with you; but after carefully going over the photos, I just don't see a lot of value. The machines are in pretty poor condition, it seems they have spent years in an unprotected environment, and many of the machines exhibit the beginning signs of rust on the outside. Which means rust on the inside, and that's a problem for smooth thread travel over the bobbin.

What's interesting is that the woman's late husband appears to have had a method to his madness--many of the Singers are model 99s and La Vencedoras. However, most of them are models from the 1920s (note the large spoked handwheels), meaning each and every one would need to be rewired, as wiring insulation typically doesn't last for 90 years.

I also see at least one natural-born model 15 treadle, which is a good machine, but the finish appears to be in terrible condition, like it was stored outside. If you look closely you'll also spot things like a 66 missing the slide plate.

Bottom line, $499 seems like an attractive price for that many machines, but rust, missing parts and damaged finishes can often be more trouble than they're worth. The bentwood cases caught my eye for their potential value, but again, they do not appear to be in great condition.

If any of you do end up bidding on the machines, please keep the rest of us posted on if you found any gems in the collection!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM

I hope someone with good intentions gets them so they don't get recycled for scrap value. A Singer hand crank and a full sized bentwood case fetch quite a bit on the net, assuming there in average condition. Don't think you can go wrong for $500 though finding a home for the unwanted cabinetry and machines could prove challenging (maybe not on the West Coast).

Jon