Elna SP

Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 AM

Default Elna SP

A few days ago I posted that I had purchased an Elna SP sewing machine but I forgot to mention there are a few places where the paint seems to be chipping off. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a solution to this problem.
Attached Thumbnails elna-paint-chipping.jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 08:22 AM

I haven't, the finish on Elnas are delicate. I polish my Elnas and Berninas with a type of protective resin polish (car polish), to prevent further wear. The finish is very thin, if you outline the area with a tape you might be able to spray paint something on, very carefully a few times to get a cover of paint. You have to find a good color match and a type of no-gloss paint.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:42 PM

You could lightly sand down the whole bed and repaint it so it is smooth again to make even the most delicate fabric slide across it nice and smooth, you could even paint it a nice complimentary or contrasting color.

People at a local model supply shop could probably help you out.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:06 PM

My paint looks worse than that. No scratches, but large areas of paint gone. I have no rust. As this machine has been mine since her birth, I just consider it wear and tear. I know how much use that machine has had. It's a wonder it has any paint. If it bothered me, I'd smooth it (mine is worn smooth) and use fingernail polish. You can get so many colors now. I wouldn't spray it without taking it apart. I dislike overspray.