Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Elna Supermatic - a keeper?

I agree with Candace. I found it a fairly finicky machine. Other people really like them though.

The pulley (about $20 - $25) was simple to replace though, it just requires a little more care than some other machines because the motor is on springs and can shift around. You need to brace that before you "drive" the pin out. I braced with some quick grips. Then pushed the pin out with a punch. It took me about 5 - 10 minutes without the special tool you can rent from Ray White. Being in Canada, I didn't want the hassle of sending it back and forth.

I have another brown / beige Supermatic here, it's not labelled that way, but it says 722010 on the plate. It will likely sit a long time before I put any work into it, because of the pulley and how much work they take to get purring.

That said, as a machine to use, it seemed quite nice. It was the tuning I didn't like because it seemed temperamental, but the one I had had been stored for 25 years in a basement, so that may have something to do with the grief it gave me.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Archaic and Candace, and everyone,

I have successfully replaced the pully on my Green Girl and am about to start tinkering to get her stitching. She is Old New Stock. One thing I am about to tackle is the Cam stitch length calibration.

When you said it took a lot to get it purring, what do you mean? What sort of things did you find tended to need attention? I would appreciate all heads-ups, as I navigate through this.

Thanks in advance!

Update: I spent the afternoon tinkering. Ah, such fun. I adjusted the Cam stitch length, which was set too long. Then I just ran the Green Girl for a while - sometimes without thread, sometimes with thread, just sewing straight lines on cotton fabric. I figure, after being essentially dormant for decades, she must just benefit from some motion!

This is neat, bringing a machine back to life.

Any other tips, please chime in! What to look/listen for?

I have an Elna SU which I purchased in 1973. It has and still is serving me well. i take it in once a year for a cleaning. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Everytime I think about something new I hate the thought of not using the one I have.
    Sharon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2