Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Enough is enough, or you do what you gotta do. >

Enough is enough, or you do what you gotta do.

Enough is enough, or you do what you gotta do.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Nah - you got in a hurry. DH did that and messed up the timing on one - patience and a good solvent should free it up unless it is rust... I don't do rust.
You are correct on both points Miriam. That machine will still not make a full turn of the hand wheel so I have assumed the timing of the hook and needle bar needs work.

If Joe works on the hook and needle bar timing of his Wizard I will be watching with eager eyes. Hint, Hint Joe!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 AM

I bought the same machine and cabinet only not painted at the Salvation Army for $8 last summer and it is a super good machine. Great stitches and she is a work horse. I replaced a zipper in a Carhart coat and it was like a hot knife thru butter. Then I repaired a seam in my favorite T shirt and no adjustments were necessary. It has the knee bar instead of a foot pedal and I love it -no more chasing the lost pedal. You will love sewing on on it.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Caroline,

I knocked the needle bar loose and the presser foot shaft when I was working on them. Finally just went ahead and loosened the set screws so everything would move without binding. I've got it pretty much snugged up for now, but it's got to be out of time.
I'll do some pics as I work on it.

Joe
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM

I love the white cabinet. That's really cool.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking it is the machine farthest back. It is a Japanese deluxe type machine. I think that one has a metal camstack - all metal machine or it wouldn't be worth the trouble. The two machines in front are some Joe picked up at GW auction... He is always willing to out bid me...
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 AM

miriam is correct about the object of this thread being the machine in the rear. And it is an all metal machine with a metal cam stack. I'm hoping it can be brought back to life. I'm sure gonna try.

However I don't always out bid her. She has to drive across town to pick up her wins, I have to drive half way across IL and IN to collect mine. The nitwits in the Indy GW won't ship the heavy machines. Which is a good thing really.

Betty, the white cabinet looks good in a picture, but it's just old pealing latex paint over a shellac finish. We need to strip it and refinish it. Weather we make it white or wood with stain, it still needs to be done over again to make it right.

Joe
Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Joe, I found a picture - I hope it posts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374832[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails window-replacement-tutorial-225.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Two things:
1. You did WHAT with a propane torch??? Good grief! What about the paint? but then again, with all that rust (thanks for the pic miriam), you really had nothing to lose. I'm still wrapping my head around the image of you with wild eyes and a propane torch....

2. And my heart stopped when I saw that lovely Singer Art Deco cabinet defiled with white paint! Please, please, refinish her (as soon as possible) and return her to her original glory. And then perhaps you can post before and after pics. It's just to sad to see.

I really must stop reading some of these threads. They are too hard on my aging heart. Really. ;-)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

it is a pity what some people will do to a poor old sewing machine and their hidyholes isn't it... With 40 or more cabinets I had to let that one go to a good home. Joe I think there might be a few more of those type machines lurking in my shop...
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 PM

Miriam,
Thanks for posting that pic. It really shows the rust and damage that poor thing has suffered. I added it to my photo gallery on my thumb drive.

Dorothy,

I used the torch to heat the needle bar and the part it moves up and down in as well as the presser foot shaft and it's mounting parts.
I stayed away from the paint and just got it hot enough to allow the oil I was using to work in between the parts. I also had to tap on the shafts to encourage them to move. But it's free now, and no worse off than it was. I might even get it to sew again.
As for the cabinet that white latex paint will come off, sometime next spring. Too darn cold and wet now.

Miriam,
Don't need no more cabinets. Got no place for 'em.

Joe