Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ever regret buying too many vintage machines?? >

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Banned

For me it is more about the one's I regret selling, or Not buying when I had the chance..

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2019 at 01:20 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I only have 8 true vintage machines and a few semi vintage. I am now in a house where I have a place to tinker with them and there are a lot more out in the wild than where I used to live but now I also have my own sewing room so have been doing more of that. I wouldn't part with any of my machines right now. My only duplicates are 2 featherweights and 2 class 15s but one is a treadle and the electric one is in very rough shape. There is an OSMG in front of the quilt shop which is about 2 miles away. Going to bring that one to him because the hand wheel is chipped off and I can't get it off. Don't regret any of them and am going to rotate them to sew on all of them. Might feel differently if I didn't have the room.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:46 AM

*** Yes,
*** I have 9 at present and think I need to downsize (my house is too small).
*** 221 - 301A beige - 301 black - 66 - 99 - 99 - 328 - T&S 756 - 128J
Old 04-18-2016, 12:01 PM

Yes, we have about 25 now. I can only sew one a time and that's my newer Bernina usually. I love looking at the vintage machines, so much more prettier than any of the new ones. DH is going to fix some of the machines and then we will start selling them. It's time to downsize.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:28 PM

As long as they sew, I will keep them. (and probably add on_ I just bought a featherweight table!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 PM

Yes, I do regret buying the vintage machines I have. I got caught up in the romanticism of the old machines. I think I caught the fever from this board! I only have 1 featherweight (1938,) 1 15-91, 1 301 (black,) and a Free-Westinghouse, which is like my mother's machine that I first tried to sew with. I haven't used any of them. I'm afraid to, because I think I might break something. The thought of all the oiling they need puts me off, too. I would like to sell a couple of them, but I don't think anyone would want them.

Leslie
Old 04-19-2016, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
...I haven't used any of them. I'm afraid to, because I think I might break something. The thought of all the oiling they need puts me off, too...

Ohh, neither of this should be something to prevent using them, you are thinking about it all wrong Unless it's a machine in flawless condition to be on display only they all up for use. Neither of these models brake or damage easily, if something happens it can be fixed. What type of sewing do you do and what type of machine do you end up using? My Singer 201 as sailed up as a favorite and since I bought it over 18 months ago it's the one I use the most. I make clothes, jackets (my next project), pants, shirts, the odd uphostery job, mending etc. Oiling is the least of worries, I oil now and then, after I initially cleaned and fixed up this machine I feel I know I well, and it's a tiny step. I feel the no-oil, no-maintanance machines are a bit of a let down in that area, they really should be cleand and oiled regularly, and have to be handed in for a service annually for me to have a clear conscience. With these old machines I feel I can clean and oil my self and no worries. Even if you neglect oiling your model 15 a bit it will cope with it fine.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:04 AM

I regret buying my Featherweight. Since buying that my DH has had a stroke and money has become really tight and I wonder what I was thinking to spend over $350 on the machine even though it is a beauty. I haven't sewn on it in about 4-5 years.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 AM

I have at times felt them a burden but only because of the pressure I put on myself to get them cleaned up. Very early on I made a bulk buy of 40 machines that pretty much fell in my lap. Some of those machines are ones I would keep and some are ones I enjoy fixing for others but it IS a lot of machines.

Still, it's hard to regret it. These were machines from another collector. I helped that family big time by taking them all when this collector died. My husband encouraged me to take them in and it was a very good deal. I have learned a lot on the machines I took in. I also got parts that I have used to fix other machines and tools that came in handy when I needed them.

Although there are a lot of machines I am not crowded for space. I am sure my family could re-home them if I die and I have not bought one machine that I could not get my money back by selling if I wanted to, so I am not in the hole. I consider tinkering my entertainment and I don't spend any more money on it than someone else would spend on movies or dinners out or trips to museums and such.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I have a Lot of machines. I don't have any regrets at all. I have learned something every time I have worked one into running condition. I do need to sell some to make room for the next project. I love seeing a machine go to somebody who will love it and use it. The ones I have liked the most have not been the prettiest. The ones I like least have plastic innards. The really old machines are literally works of art. My regrets might be having sold some of the favorite machines.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2019 at 01:21 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps