Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ever regret buying too many vintage machines?? >

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Old 04-23-2016, 01:25 PM

Maria,

X2. Hope the wrist heals quickly. Sounds strange but the old sewing machines are almost like a mechanical form of life with all it's fascinating diversity.

Jon
Old 04-24-2016, 09:34 AM

Yes, at this point in time I do regret some of my purchases. I think I have OCD because once I like something such as rubber stamping, scrapbooking, Accuquilt dies, you name it, I tend to go overboard. Once I owned ONE vintage machine, I got caught up in finding others at a good price. I've had a blast repairing and refurbishing them so it was not all in vain. I've already sold two machines but I still have two FWs, two class 15's, a 99 and a gorgeous Red Eye that I paid too much for (even on Goodwill) due to the shipping costs. I currently have an ad on Craig's List right now for one of the 15's and plan to photograph the Red Eye to place an ad on my local Facebook sale page. I know it's not a huge collection compared to some but I could really use the room. I'm a 73 year old widow and I don't want to leave them behind for my kids to deal with.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:01 PM

The first "vintage" machine I bought was a 1980's no-name machine. It's pretty, but mostly plastic inside. I paid $45 for it plus another $60 to get it serviced. I haven't really used it. Otherwise I like all my machines so far, but haven't gotten them all clean and working yet - but I keep buying more! I love my FW and use it frequently, and I'm loving my Kenmore Rosie (can't remember her number). I just wish I didn't have so many in cabinets.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM

I only have one regret and that was a 99 on eBay, it was packaged so poorly that the base as ruined and it chipped the paint. I was compensated, but was so upset with the issue that I have not touched that machine. My other 24 I love. I am still looking for the elusive LBOW 301, I have the other 4 and sew on 2 of them, my '37 FW and my $$$ Janome the most. Sometimes on my 404 and I need to fix the cord on my Centennial 201 so I can sew on her. She is perfect! Basically love to look at them. The oiling intimidated me as a child, maybe my mom warned me not to! I love the ability to fix (play) with my vintage Singers.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
Do any of you ever regret buying too many vintage machines?
I have 4 featherweights and 3 301's. (And 2 newer Juki's)
I think my OCD is acting up this week, I feel very overwhelmed with all these machines.
I think I need to sell a few of them.
I have 4 machines, only 2 of which I've paid for. I'd love a featherweight, but most are priced out of my range. I love 3 of the four. The newest one doesn't hold tension as well as the 3 really old ones do. BUT IF I see a featherweight for a really cheap price, well, then I might consider getting one.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:49 PM

How many is too many?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 PM

Yes, I regret buying several of mine and they are so hard to find homes for. I sold the blackside 128 and am giving away the little Leader treadle, but I have no idea what to do with the rest. I want my 1973 Elna, 2 301s, a MW clone and one Redeye treadle. The rest need new homes.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Banned

feel free to sign up and list them on the VSS forum
Old 04-30-2016, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
feel free to sign up and list them on the VSS forum
Well I be sure to during June and July when I take the shop down.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:09 AM

I collect hand crank models. Preferably 3/4 size. I limit myself to what will fit on my display wall. I cleaned and restored them all but don't use them. I recently gave 1 of my 3 treadle machines to a family member. A recent move has shown me that space is at a premium! I regret my featherweight. My 127 and 128 machines make a better stitch. I just don't understand the mega interest in featherweights. The harp is so small.