Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Examples of Vintage Singer 301 Quilting

Examples of Vintage Singer 301 Quilting

Here are just a couple of the many quilts I make on one of my 4, 301's. I used to own 6, 301's but have parted with a couple. I use both of the types of slant 301, free motion feet for the free motion quilting.

I do most of my charity quilts on my vintage machines and have about 30 that I rotate. But, I use the 301's almost exclusively for the FMQing. Most of my charity quilts are scrap quilts and these are made out of flannel scraps.

Oddly, two of my 301's prefer one type of FMQing foot over the other and I have no idea why. I finished up these two last week and haven't dealt with stray threads yet... but as you can see they're a great choice for FMQing.

I have a vintage 301 card table that the machine sets in and it makes it very easy to quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

I love your flannel quilt tops, they look so cuddly. Such pretty scraps and so generous of you.
    Kitsy

Thanks! I hope others post their pics of 301 quilting and FMQing.

Blog Entries
    I have been wanting to dosome free motion quilting on my 301 but don't know what foot to use. Would you mind postion a picture of the foot you use so I can look to see if I have one. Your quilting is beautiful and so is the quilt.
    Dixie
    God is good all the time dlprecisionquilting.com

Quote Originally Posted by heart of Dixie View Post
    I have been wanting to dosome free motion quilting on my 301 but don't know what foot to use. Would you mind postion a picture of the foot you use so I can look to see if I have one. Your quilting is beautiful and so is the quilt.
    Dixie
    I use this one the most http://shop.SEW-CLASSIC.COM/Singer-S...oot-384037.htm

But I have two machines that prefer this one http://shop.SEW-CLASSIC.COM/Singer-S...KED-P60417.htm

I ,personally, prefer the first foot I linked to.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for this information. Have a 301 but haven't tried it for FMQ. To be honest haven't tried any FMQ on any machine but I may have to give it a try now.

Beautiful !!!! I have a 301 will have to give it a try!

I have a small collection of 301's and love using them for fmq, also.
    Lynn

Thanks for sharing your pics, Candace, and I would love to see more pictures of FMQ that people have done using their 301's. I'll have to give it a try particularly because I was just watching a You tube video of an HQ Sweet 16 and the price is way out of my range
    ~~Cathy~~

I have quite a few machines, but the Singer 301 is always my go to machine for fmq. Since I repair machines, I also get to test them, and have tested over a hundred for fmq. The Singer 301 is the best, hands down. (Second would either be a Pfaff 130 or a new Janome I just bought.) The fact that the 301 takes any thread (beware of YLI, however) and has a vertical bobbin put it in the number one spot.

You did a great job on the quilting. I love the big flowers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast