Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Extra pieces to the puzzle . . . box >

Extra pieces to the puzzle . . . box

Extra pieces to the puzzle . . . box

Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 AM

Default Extra pieces to the puzzle . . . box

I've got my puzzle box stuff sorted out finally. I started out wanting one for the 27 and one for the 15 - and then found an older style with the latch, so I have that one too. Most of the others I ended up with as they came loose with a selection of other style attachments. You'll find all sorts of items mixed together . . .

So here are the extra pieces. These are all the newer ones that have the part number stamped on them.

the three tuckers all have the same part number stamped on them, but they are each a bit different. There is only one set of screws - and they fit any of the three. It's very common to get a tucker missing one or both screws, and sometimes the smaller slide. I've learned to watch for that!

All the hemmer attachment feet are missing the screw, that has been one of the harder items to find. Though the thread is the same as the larger screw for the tucker and also the screw for the underbraider. I even had one someone had forced the slightly larger fabric guide screw into (that one is tossed).

This picture shows the underbraider for the 15 (it has no part number). I do not have any extra shirr plates, they are also a hard to find piece. I showed it with this group as the box has the holder for round bobbins.

One of the quilt guides is missing the screw type nut. One time I saw someone trying to sell a tucker with the quilt guide screwed into the spot the larger screw fits into - I tried to explain to them that they had two incomplete items, not one unusual item.

They bias guide, quilt guide and fabric guide do not have numbers, so they can be used with any style box. I've got a lot of extra bias and fabric guides as they stayed a standard attachment long after the puzzle box was discontinued.

This group is all the older ones with no part number stamped on them - though some have numbers (single or double digit) that helped the owner to place them properly in the box. This style underbraider goes with the long bobbin style (27)

Here are the three complete puzzle boxes that I am keeping for my collection.

All three are complete - however the first set has the wrong style screwdrivers/stiletto in it. Screwdrivers are another harder to find item.

Next step will be to organize my back clamp attachments.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 AM

Cathy,

You have email.

Joe
Old 11-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Since shirring plates are often under the ruffler in pictures and hard to see- here are some of them. And most directions don't even show a picture of the plate - they show it covered by the fabric being shirred.

At the top is the ruffler with the shirr plate detached. You always use a shirr plate with the ruffler, either the one attached if your ruffle edge is narrow, or one that fits underneath the fabric if your ruffle edge is wider. If you are looking at really old rufflers, make sure the shirr plate is there. I've got several with it missing (and several ones that came with no ruffler).

The first two are for a 15/201 and a 66. The 66 is a bit smaller. These two are not puzzle box shirring plates -they are later styles that you'll occasionally see.

The next one is a shirring plate for the 15 style puzzle box. There may be more - but I only have this style 15 box.

The second two are for the 27. The second of these two is an older vintage and goes with a longer style ruffler. the first of these two is the most common, and I think it was used post puzzle box era too.

Last is another older style. This one is NOT for a singer, but it is the style I wanted to show. The Singer one is the same size as the front plate for the 27, and has the shirring part attached to it similar to how this plate is (it's for my White made New Queen).

To give credit where it is due - I've spent a lot of time looking at the pictures on Needlebar to figure out the shirring plates
http://needlebar.org/main/puzzles/index.html

And I belong to the Singer Attachment group on Yahoo - they have a lot of pictures also.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 AM

Wow, what a collection!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 AM

Great post - good pics and lots of info. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 AM

WOW!! You are amazing and what a collection! The organization gene never engaged with me but I admire organization skills in others.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM

I found the box in my Dad's shed after his
death (have no idea where it came from).

I am now beginning to gather the parts
for it.

You have done a wonderful job.