Feather weight attachments

Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 PM

I have a lovely original tan featherweight. She sews so nice and quietly. People are always asking what the original color was, they think I had it repainted.
Sharon in Texas
Old 06-02-2016, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by RebeccaG View Post
...So Mickey was that after the changes? ..
I believe the changes Mickey was referring to, has to do with the rotary hook assembly and the unnumbered tension. There were a few other changes but mostly cosmetic. You don't have to worry about those changes as most of the featherweight information deals with ones after the changes. From my understanding, the changes were made early on - like in the 1930's.

Good luck with your FW and enjoy -- Great little machines.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 AM

Thank you all for the info. I have ordered parts for it. I will begin the cleaning process. I can't thank you enough for all the help I received. Thank you for the private messages with links.
The only thing I question my decision on is the foot peddle. I ordered a new one. I would like to keep it true to original but feel leary of purchasing a used pedal. I do want to use the machine. So perhaps it's wiser going the new route.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:17 AM

I like to keep things "original" however, for the vintage machines I use, most have been converted to modern foot controls. I got tired of getting a hot foot, and I find I get better control that way. I don't get rid of the old ones, so I still have them as part of the collection, I just don't use them.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 AM

I have two machines with the button type pedal, I use the 201 all the time, and the pedal never gets hot, at most luke warm, hardly noticeable. I have developed a feel for it, use it the wrong side around with my foot on top of it since I allways sew with just socks on. You are suppose to wear propper shoes and have the heel on the floor.

I find these pedals better than their reputation. If they get noticeably warm or very little control from slow to full speed they need adjustment. If you do a bit of search on this you will find others who have bought brand new pedals of the best kind and still complain about very abrupt speed control. I have yet to find an explanation for this.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:11 PM

I just received my peddle from sew classic. It was tough getting it on the machine. Also when you lift your foot off the peddle it slows but doesn't stop unless you push hard down on the smaller part and hold it.if you lift your foot off it slowly runs still. Which is not good having that needle moving. It is the peddle they recommend. Has anyone purchase a peddle from them? I think it just might be defective. But don't want to have another sent if it's going to be the same result.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
I recommend getting a good quality bobbins!!!! The recommended sew-classic has quality bobbins and parts. The low priced bobbins can cause you big problems. You can download a 221 manual free from the Singer.com web site.
an absolute MUST. Cheap ones are often oversized and wont work or they are thin metal and bend. Its hard to see the defective ones, but they will cause you tons of trouble to a machine that is trouble free if you oil it and change the needle. I love the button foot pedal and run it with my big toe with great precision. The FW is my main machine. I use it every day for 99% of my sewing. I obviously love mine.