Featherweight 221-1

Old 09-09-2010, 12:28 PM

There is a lot of pitting on the bed of the machine, but that comes with normal useage. The decals are in good shape. I wonder if the scrolled faceplate is original to the machine, because I thought they went to the straight faceplate after WWII, but it is definitely more attractive. The plug on the machine is not cracked, chipped or broken (which is not unusual, because it happens when a machine is put into the case incorrectly). The bobbin is included. It costs $35 for a reproduction bobbin case. The case looks like it's in very good shape, except for the handle. A replacement handle will run you about $20.

Once this machine is cleaned and shined up, it will be gorgeous.

I always wonder when they say "works" or "runs", but don't mention if it sews. After all, it is a sewing machine. You can plug it in and the light may come on, but will it actually sew?

The advice above is good. Decide how high you want to go, then stick to it. I've had to let a few machines go, but I now have 3 great FWs, and I paid around $225 for each of them, including shipping. I will confess that I sniped one of them. One of them, I placed my reserve bid, and the bidding stopped $15 below it. My bid was $200, and I don't know why the bidding stopped, but I got it for $185. I was thrilled.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Thank you all for the great advise, that is what I love about this site...Big Bugs to you all :) Caryl
Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM

I just bought a Featherweight on E-bay and only paid $175, all the attachments, extra bobbins, had an old power cord, but new one included, and case in fairly decent shape!!! I consider myself lucky!