Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight 221, broken part >

Featherweight 221, broken part

Featherweight 221, broken part

Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 PM

Default Featherweight 221, broken part

I just purchased a Singer 221 and during greasing, oiling and cleaning discovered a broken part. The machine seemed to run well but it appears this small piece, not sure of the name, is broken and not the same as the mirror image part. What part does this piece play? Since it seems to be working fine is there any harm in operating it this way? Please advise if you know what this piece is called, I can only find the part number which I believe to be 45808. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails photo-2-.jpg  
Old 07-31-2015, 05:10 PM
Banned

That's where the bobbin case finger has to fit when you put the bobbin case in the machine. The part can actually be gently bent to keep the bobbin case from rattling too much. That's probably how it got broke. As long as the machine sews properly and you can put up with the noise it makes it should be fine.

Cari
Old 07-31-2015, 07:42 PM

There are a few needle plates on ebay that would make a nice replacement. But make sure the brackets are good before you purchase.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 PM

Be careful with Ebay. Some of the prices for throat plates are obscene. I am hunting this part for someone now. Try a sewing machine shop. Sometimes they can find it for you without paying a terrible price. I looked up the PN# on a Singer site and it was 45772 on that one. If it were mine, I would choose a tiny bit of electrical tape and experiment with different placements. Not for everyone I'm sure, but if it works, it will give you options to hunt different places at better prices. You may get lucky right away or need to wait a little longer.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:24 AM

I tried to bend one of those little springy parts like the instructions said and broke it. It was on a machine I was working on for a forum member. I did manage to find a replacement for it from Glenn Williams IIRC.
{ http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm }.
They are very hard to the point of being brittle. Be very careful how you try to bend them.

Shelly,
If your machine will work OK like it is you can use it, but I'd still try to find a replacement part.

Joe
Old 08-01-2015, 08:32 AM

Those aren't always terribly expensive if you keep an eye on eBay. I've bought two and haven't paid more than $30 for a marked one (with the seam allowances). They're much less expensive if you're fine with a plain one.
Just keep a close eye on the listings.
Also, you can get stickers (from SewClassic, I think) that go onto the plain ones and show the seam allowances. I think it's something like 5 stickers for $2. I like mine. If it starts to snag the fabric (mine haven't) you can just change the sticker.
Good luck,
Ila
Old 08-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley M View Post
I just purchased a Singer 221 and during greasing, oiling and cleaning discovered a broken part. The machine seemed to run well but it appears this small piece, not sure of the name, is broken and not the same as the mirror image part. What part does this piece play? Since it seems to be working fine is there any harm in operating it this way? Please advise if you know what this piece is called, I can only find the part number which I believe to be 45808. Thank you.
It is part #45807, position plate spring (back). The most important part of that piece is still there which keeps the position finger in place but will give a little, hence the spring moves as you sew and all the parts do their jobs. If you want to replace the needle plate you can, but as long as it is sewing fine, think that I would not worry about it. Some of these machines were treated kindly and some have not been in my experience repairing them since 1994.