Featherweight Bobbin Spindle

Old 09-09-2013, 06:18 AM

Default Featherweight Bobbin Spindle

Howdy y'all :c)

Even though I got my Featherweight back in May, I just finally got a chance to use it this past week. I was on vacation, so I took it with me to use on my sister's quilt. MAN does it ever sew like a dream!!! I'm absolutely thrilled with it! The only problem is, as I was preparing to wind the bobbin, I realized from the fact that the bobbin wasn't spinning and from the pictures in the manual that the bobbin spindle was on backwards! Luckily I also had a Sidewinder with me and was able to use that, so it was no big deal. But it could be in the future if I'm ever somewhere where I don't have a bobbin winder. I tried to slide it out to put it on the other way, but no dice. I noticed that there is a screw beneath the spindle that might release it along with the entire black metal piece around it, but without knowing for sure what I'm doing I'm afraid to take it out. So can someone please tell me how to resolve this? I would sure appreciate it! :c)

Donna
Attached Thumbnails featherweightbobbinspindle.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 AM

yep it is on backwards. Did you try googling how to replace a bobbin spindle of a FW? I am sure one of the knowledgeable people will also help you out.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 AM

can't see the screw holding it on, my phone) . The ead of it its into a counterbore or pocket in the steel pivot arm. If it is, Then the bobbin shaft needs to be carefully pressed out and reinstalled from the other direction. I just rescued a sad FW in which there was so much rust on every steel part, that i had to press it apart to remove the rust. Use care cause the shaft itself is soft.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Easy fix. Back the screw out and reverse the bobbin winder. Be sure to use the proper size screwdriver.

Last edited by Caroline S; 09-09-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM

This is what it should look like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]434983[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fw-bobbin-wider-atlas-009.jpg  
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
Howdy y'all :c)

Even though I got my Featherweight back in May, I just finally got a chance to use it this past week. I was on vacation, so I took it with me to use on my sister's quilt. MAN does it ever sew like a dream!!! I'm absolutely thrilled with it! The only problem is, as I was preparing to wind the bobbin, I realized from the fact that the bobbin wasn't spinning and from the pictures in the manual that the bobbin spindle was on backwards! Luckily I also had a Sidewinder with me and was able to use that, so it was no big deal. But it could be in the future if I'm ever somewhere where I don't have a bobbin winder. I tried to slide it out to put it on the other way, but no dice. I noticed that there is a screw beneath the spindle that might release it along with the entire black metal piece around it, but without knowing for sure what I'm doing I'm afraid to take it out. So can someone please tell me how to resolve this? I would sure appreciate it! :c)

Donna

This is not a big problem! I thought that I had seen most everything, but this is a new one to me. I have been teaching featherweight owner maintenance classes for 8 years. Easy fix to remove the screw and reverse so that the wheel will run on the belt and the other end can hole the bobbin.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM

It makes me wonder who in the world would turn it around? Someone sure doesn't know anything about these little beauties...... don't they understand the concept? .... can't fix stupid.