Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by featherweightman View Post
It could be the upper tension.It could be needle not being seated or your stitch reg in the neutral position. try these first if none work we will try plan B
I had this trouble when I tried the new bobbins I bought on eBay. I think they are slightly too big and the thread gets caught.
The problem went away when I put the original bobbin back in.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM

happyquiltmom, your Violet is a pretty little machine. As shiny as she is, she looks like new! I'm sure you will enjoy sewing with her.
I ordered my bobbins from Sew-Classic, and they work.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:17 AM

Yes, I have a Singer 221-1 that I named Josephine after my mother. Right now Josephine has a problem I have a piece of thread caught in the bobbin casing and can not get it out. I think I have to remove the casing, but do not know which screw to take out. I need some help.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by featherweightman View Post
All machines are not the same.The black ones have gears inside.the white ones ..have a belt.The black ones have lube tubes on the motors.some of the white ones do not.the foot control on the black ones un pluges .some do some do not on the white.Let me try to make it simple.The motor on the white one is a more powerful motor..04 vs.0.58.The first fix i would try is simple.It s called motor burn out.Some of these machines have been setting for 30 to 40 years.Un hook belt from machine and run motor for 5 to 10 min.at high speed.IT may smell or it may get hot but after a while you will here the pitch change.When it does you will see a big difference in the speed.Ihave worked on a lot of featherweights and it works most of the time good luck ,let me know if it works.
Well guess what? I took my machine to my class and we plugged her in and let her run and by golly, she went right up to speed. I think you are certainly right, she needed to get all that oil and stuff into her, gave her the old energy. ha So now she is sewing at full speed. Thanks sew much.
While on this topic, do you have any parts for the featherweigt tables? I bought one but the front piece that holds the machine up is missing. My husband is going to try to fix it, but I'd love to have the "real" part for it.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
happyquiltmom, your Violet is a pretty little machine. As shiny as she is, she looks like new! I'm sure you will enjoy sewing with her.
I ordered my bobbins from Sew-Classic, and they work.
Thank you, Janis!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Default Help is coming

Originally Posted by ladydi64 View Post
Yes, I have a Singer 221-1 that I named Josephine after my mother. Right now Josephine has a problem I have a piece of thread caught in the bobbin casing and can not get it out. I think I have to remove the casing, but do not know which screw to take out. I need some help.
If i am hearing you correct you want to remove the rotary hook assembly.You have to remove the two screws on the shaft. Turn machine up on end remove cover.Rotate hand wheel tillthe thread arm is at the top.if you look at the hook assembly where it meets the shaft you will see a tiny screw.loosen it, do not re move it.turn wheel untill you see second screw and repeat.You may have to use screw driver to prye off of shaft but do not force to much.ALSO BE FOR YOU START REMOVE NEDDLE PLATE.Also make sure you put it back together the same way of timeing will be 180%off
Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Poor Josephine....... here's some help for her: http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...achineJam.aspx

Once you get that wayward thread out, make sure you read and follow the last two photos/instructions in the above link to get the bobbin 'finger' back where it belongs. If you don't get it back in the correct position you WILL have a birds nest from the bobbin thread when you sew.

Shari

Originally Posted by ladydi64 View Post
Old 02-26-2012, 02:18 PM

PS "Agnes", my 221, joined my other girls this week. I had to drive about 90 miles round trip to get her but she was worth it!

Shari
Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 AM

I would love to find an old featherweight machine that I could restore! I remember my grandmothers and sewing on it. It was a great machine!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Somehow I was dropped off of this thread. I own a 1947 FW. Haven't named her yet. I love sewing on her though. So do my grandkiddies!