Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight DVD or You Tube repair video? >

Featherweight DVD or You Tube repair video?

Featherweight DVD or You Tube repair video?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 PM

I thought the same thing ...$$... watch once and then there is ututbe. That is until today...broke a needle on FW and suddenly a ticking sound. Took it apart...thought I saw the problem but had no clue as to what next? New needle seemed to be hitting below feed dogs and brushing against the housing where the bobbin case is inserted. Went to the DVD...and voila there was the solution. All it took was removing a few very small pieces of thread and a drop of oil in the right place (he even mentions: "annoying ticking sound")...FW back to normal, not a costly repair and I bought the two discs on a sale.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 AM

Has the motor been properly lubed? Do not use oil! If you do not have the proper Singer grease, Vaseline will do. If the Singer grease is white it is the wrong grease.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
Has the motor been properly lubed? Do not use oil! If you do not have the proper Singer grease, Vaseline will do. If the Singer grease is white it is the wrong grease.
I do know never to use the oil on the motor. I had it serviced last year and I'm sure he greased it. It has been sitting for about a year unused because it was so sluggish. That may have made it even more sluggish. My service guy suggested a motor when I had the service. He works on a lot of older Singer machines. I am confident in his repair abilities and am sure he has tried other options first. I just didn't have the money to get the new motor now so I thought I'd get some feedback from others. I ordered a repair manual today...it will be handy to have.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:02 PM

I see online some DVDs for $59, but right now I can't spend the cash.

I do have the DVD, yes seems a little pricey but really WELL worth it. You will always have it when a question comes up and can play, pause and really go slow and get it right. It covers EVERYTHING, wonderfully enlarged pictures, very easy to see all the parts for repairing, cleaning and oiling. Many handy and helpful hints, I am very well pleased with mine. Have yet to take any of my numerous Featherweights to a repair shop, I do it myself.
This is just my opinion . Ruth
Old 08-05-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cabinqltr View Post
I see online some DVDs for $59, but right now I can't spend the cash.

I do have the DVD, yes seems a little pricey but really WELL worth it. You will always have it when a question comes up and can play, pause and really go slow and get it right. It covers EVERYTHING, wonderfully enlarged pictures, very easy to see all the parts for repairing, cleaning and oiling. Many handy and helpful hints, I am very well pleased with mine. Have yet to take any of my numerous Featherweights to a repair shop, I do it myself.
This is just my opinion . Ruth

I totally agree, Ruth. It's less than a service call and well worth the price. Carmon Henry did a great video on FaceBook on the FW 221 group, about adjusting the motor, if that is an option for you.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 PM

Also, I've watched the video - or portions of it - to refresh my memory more than once - and I teach people how to care for these machines. I assume we're talking about Dave McCallum's videos. They're well worth the money, in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by sjdal View Post
I totally agree, Ruth. It's less than a service call and well worth the price. Carmon Henry did a great video on FaceBook on the FW 221 group, about adjusting the motor, if that is an option for you.
What is this FW 221 group on Facebook? Can you post a link please? I searched but didn't find it.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:44 AM

at Facebook enter Featherweight 221 Singer machine and you might find it
Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by mannem View Post
at Facebook enter Featherweight 221 Singer machine and you might find it
Thanks, I found it!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Does anyone have a link for online or DVD Featherweight repairs? I have the manual but thought hubby would be more inclined to watch a video. I see online some DVDs for $59, but right now I can't spend the cash.

My FW motor gets very hot after just a little use. My repair guy thinks it needs a new motor, but a while back, someone mentioned something about the belt. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Try this....https://suite.io/sheila-gaquin/qaw2rh