Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight funny or not............ >

Featherweight funny or not............

Featherweight funny or not............

Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

My way of dealing with folks like these is to be blunt. I have had a person correct me during a class I was teaching on medieval history. My reply was to pause the class and say "I have research to back up my position, do you have research to back yours?" he said "no..., but I was told this by so-and-so the expert". I said "crack a book next time"
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM

And the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease. But she was waaaay out of line and off-base.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM

How rude. When this kind of thing happens to me, I'm so caught off guard that I can't think of anything clever to say until the next day. If she does attend again, you can be ready for her next time.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
they all say featherweight on them.
Careful with that. If they do they aren't featherweights.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 PM

I would probably have to say, "Oh, really!, Well that is what Singer called them, but then Singer only manufactured them, so what do they know!, I guess they need to ask you." I sometimes just have to spout back at folks like that and I'm not always too sugar coated with my replies - really depends on my day. Perhaps you should check with your group if there isn't too many of you and see about changing the date and time of the next meeting and politely forget to tell her, make your meeting times different in the future, so hopefully she might give up, and quit coming, but then that type never do. I think I would her that newbies need to do a show and tell an ask her to bring in one of her pieced quilts that the group would love to see her work and maybe get some fresh ideas- I can only imagine her excuses. Keep us updated on this saga.

Last edited by Gerbie; 04-21-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:21 AM

Oh, that's just irritating to have happen! It seems we all have a story. Mine was a church group with a 90+ year old gal telling us how to cut and stitch and quilt. But she wanted us to use scissors, cardboard templates...things that are much more easily done with rotary cutters and cutting mats. I held my tongue and was respectful all while trying to show a novice how to proceed with the cutter and mat. It was my first and last visit to this group. I now cut pieces out and send them in to be used. Can't wait until some wit tells me I was a smidge off on a block or two. Sometimes people are their own worst enemy! Good luck if she comes your way again.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 AM

There are a few ladies who come regularly that appointed themselves as experts and they drive me crazy. In the beginning when I first started going and first started quilting. It was a great group. Everyone got along and it was fun. Well then one person came into the group and she knows everything about everything. She would criticize people and talk behind their back . Now there are several of these type in the group. I have only gone to quilt group in this area. I keep getting asked to join quilt guilds, but I am really tired of all. I'm afraid they will all be like that. I don't go as much any more. Just goes to show that one bad apple CAN ruin a whole bunch. Anyway, this new lady will probably become a regular too. It just got to me that she was telling me I was wrong about MY machine. Wonder if she knows about the ones people are repainting other colors..........red, purple, yellow etc..... Wonder if that makes them no longer featherweights.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Well evidently even my Featherweight just wanted to come home. Shortly after that lady's comment it started to act up and not sewing correctly. I didn't know why all of a sudden it started acting up, but I was tired, it was late so we packed up and went to the antique mall to look around. I didn't pull the Featherweight back out until just a few minutes ago to see what was wrong with it. And, nothing is wrong with it. Working perfectly fine. Evidently just wanted to leave. Smart little machine!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM

Honey, don't you know why us 'southerners' say, "well, bless your heart" = which means how stupid can you be, and a few other thoughts.

Kill the old lady with "kindness" and she won't know what hit her.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Honey, don't you know why us 'southerners' say, "well, bless your heart" = which means how stupid can you be, and a few other thoughts.

Kill the old lady with "kindness" and she won't know what hit her.
I really like that, Jennifer - southerners have some lovely ways.