Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight high costs .... why? >

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Cant find anything on google, but found a couple on ebay and think mine must be for a FW.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
Yes, it has D817993 on the underside, and Simanco 136314 on the metal frame work of the brace/bracket/insert of the hole. I never thought about trying to track down anything with those. Off to Google, now.
The first number is the serial number. The other number made it easy to trace, yes it's the model 312, the most popular of the FW tables.

Cari
Old 09-29-2014, 09:43 PM

Thank you!

How did you find that? Where did you look, or what key words?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
Thank you!

How did you find that? Where did you look, or what key words?
The Vintage Singer Yahoo group has another group called the Singer Library where they have more files of info and one is some really good info, parts lists and pics of all the card tables. Every Yahoo group I belong to I've made it a point to read all the files so I know what's in there. When I need to know something or check on something the hard part is remembering where I read the info I'm looking for.

Cari
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 AM

Thank you, Cari. I sent you a PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Just reading a bit on my lunch hour so didn't see all of the posts, but I asked a vendor/quilter at a quilt show why so many quilters seem to like the featherweight. She did mention the portability and light weight factors. But she also mentioned that for piecing she likes her fw because it only sews straight, and so there is less shifting of her pieces than there is with her machine that has a larger slot for a zigzag stitch. I am guessing that is maybe why it is popular with quilters especially if they are piecing shapes.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 AM

I love my FW. It is my main machine and has been for 20 years. Thanks to my relatively newly acquired vintage machine addiction I am now going to be testing it to the 66, 201, and hopefully soon 301 and Pfaff 130 to compare. I love how the FW sews, very smooth, quiet, easy to move/carry, and with very nice stitching. It has always made me feel good just to simply see it. Now, my other vintage machines make me feel good to look at too, so we will see...
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 PM

Anyone know online vendors that carry FW table replacement springs that keep the legs latched??
Old 10-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
Just reading a bit on my lunch hour so didn't see all of the posts, but I asked a vendor/quilter at a quilt show why so many quilters seem to like the featherweight. She did mention the portability and light weight factors. But she also mentioned that for piecing she likes her fw because it only sews straight, and so there is less shifting of her pieces than there is with her machine that has a larger slot for a zigzag stitch. I am guessing that is maybe why it is popular with quilters especially if they are piecing shapes.
The ss only would be that way on any vintage ss machine. I get it about hauling it around, too. I just don't love the bobbin area.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Maybe sewing machines are sold by the pound.

The lighter they are, the more they cost!

CD in Oklahoma