Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Maintenance Class >

Featherweight Maintenance Class

Featherweight Maintenance Class

Old 02-03-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Featherweight Maintenance Class

I'm really excited. On Sunday afternoon, I'm going to Kimberly's in Katy, TX to take a 4 hour Featherweight maintenance class. I haven't really had much chance to use my Featherweight since my husband bought it for me for my birthday last fall. I was in the middle of doing a bed quilt for us and a retirement quilt for my friend at the office and didn't want to have to get used to a new machine. I started the bed quilt on the Rocketeer and wanted to continue that project on that. The retirement quilt was on a time crunch so I decided to use the 301 to piece it since I'm used to it and know just how it will behave.

So now I have time to get to using my pretty little Featherweight. I'm really looking forward to this class and learning to take care it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity! I really love my featherweight. It is the one I use all the time. Having a bit of an issue with her at the moment. She's wanting to go very slowly, which is most unusual. Trying to figure out what's going on but not making much progress yet.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 PM

Oooh, I read your thread about that. I hope you get it figured out soon. Mine has already been to Kimberly's for a new power cord and general going over before I used it. I was playing on it the other day and it just hums right along.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:50 AM

I'm jealous! I'd love to take a class like that. Have not seen anything of that nature listed at any of the shops in this area but will keep my eyes open, certainly. Have fun.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:32 AM

I attended a Featherweight maintenance class last fall and loved it. It was put on by Camron and April from the Singer Featherweight Shop. Learned all about oiling and other maintenance. They have great tutorials on their website as well. I have made so many things on mine. Haven't used any other machine since. I take Miss Betty Boop to our charity quilt group every Wednesday. She is so quiet compared to all the other machines there. Such a little work horse. Have fun!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:35 AM

I took the class yesterday. Wow! It was intense. There were only two of us in the class and we learned a lot. I had my Featherweight completely apart with this little pile of parts in a magnetic bowl. I would have freaked if Kimberly hadn't been there to guide us thru putting it back together. But I got it all back. While I will probably continue to take mine to her for problems I can't solve and for an occasional maintnenance, I do have the confidence that I can take parts of the machine apart and put it back if needed.

Momof6, have you solved your problem with yours running slowly yet? Kimberly did say that sometimes when they haven't been used for a while, they will run slowly at first and then gradually speed up.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the concern. No I haven't. I'm increasingly certain the problem is the foot pedal. It got pretty hot and then quit moving at all. The motor wasn't hot and the hand wheel still moves freely. She's been working pretty hard lately and I'm going to give her a rest for a bit. Time to let my 404 get some use.