Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is this a Featherweight or not??? >

Is this a Featherweight or not???

Is this a Featherweight or not???

Old 06-24-2011, 06:31 AM

It is a 301. I have one and also a FW. It is the big sister to the FW and the bobbins and bobbin cases are the same. When my granddaughters come and sew with me this is the one they use. Great machine.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
I just came down from sewing on my 1951 301 black shortbed and LOVE IT...I also have a two tone 301A in a cabinet and also LOVE IT....don't pass it up for that price or you'll regret it.
I have a vintage Singer repair man I go to and he highly recommends the 301's over the featherweights because they are gear driven not belt driven...and says..."don't yell at me ladies who own featherweights" They are better made and a better machine then the featherweights...
301 weight is 15-16lbs...has a carry handle and very light to transport.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's the outside belt they're talking about. It's what's driving the machine inside. When I took mine in to the local repair guy, he opened up the hole where the thread goes to show me that the older ones had a belt and were not gear driven inside. The black ones don't have that belt. I'm thinking it may be some kind of a metal belt, but not one that's replaced regularly like the outside one.

The older Featherweights are gear driven too. It was the newer ones that were belt-driven; like my white one.
All featherweights are belt driven, meaning that it needs a belt to run the motor.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

The one I would love to have is the Black with White top and faceplate. I know where one is and he isnt letting it go anytime soon.

Billy
You mean there is a black and white version of the 301 :shock: or is it just a black 301 with some of it's parts exchanged with the two tone 301?

I'm happy that you were able to get it for $75 :thumbup: !! I have seven 301's....2 blacks, 2 mochas and 3 two tone (LBOW). I just love the looks of them,
Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Buy it! I have two 301's and love them! You'll never be sorry and this one is the "long bed" which is harder to find and better for quilting!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 PM

There were three models of the 301 made; tan, tan and ivory and black. If there's another combination it was put together instead of manufactured. I have one, but haven't sewn on it yet. Singer's information says its motor is larger and slightly more powerful.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

No it is the big sister of the Feather Weight, a full size portable machine with case singer 301 long bed. Yes, it is worth the $100. I like it better to sew on then the Feather Weight and it is still portable. It even has a little flip up handle build in. the one in your picture is a long bed. that means the little flip table to the left of the needle is extra long. Look at mine in the picture, it is a short bed. The short bed typically goes in a cabinet while the long bed came in a case like in the picture.

Singer 301 two tone in cabinet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222340[/ATTACH]

Singer 301 Mocah short bed in cabinet. Note the little carry handle it is up. This can be taken out and used as a portable machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222341[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222334.jpe   attachment-222335.jpe  
Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

No the Singer 301 is very light at about 16 lb and portable. I would not take my rocketeer any where. Way too heavy. Great machine too.

Originally Posted by lalaland
Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Nope..... But it looks like a 'bullet', or that is what I have heard this machine called. Looks to be in good shape. OOPs..... wrong, didn't look at it close enough :shock:
Looks like a Singer Rocketeer, or darn close to it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Woohooo what a steal. You did great. Others are realizing how wonderful these little machines are and they are quickly becoming popular. Many go for way more in lesser condition. All mine I bought did not run when I got them and did not have attachments. You did well.

Originally Posted by janethagy
I got the Machine tonight, its a 301A Long Bed. It sew beautifully and comes with all the attachments, buttonholer, and owners manuel.. will post pic tomorrow..:)
By the way I got this machine for $75.00.. doing the happy dance!!1
Old 07-18-2011, 10:02 PM

I got one 2 weeks ago for $40...but there are no attachments for it...however it has the cutest little vintage case you ever saw..and it was born in 1958...like me..cleaned her up and she works beautifully..
in the last couple of weeks..i have seen 2 advertised but both are too far away for me...I am working on picking another one up...2 hour drive...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-228712.jpe