Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight repair help needed please >

Featherweight repair help needed please

Featherweight repair help needed please

Old 12-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Default Featherweight repair help needed please

OK, I saw a beautiful FW at a flea market and bought it. Stupid because it would not sew Took it to a repairman who has 40 years experience fixing Singer's. Said there was something wrong with the bobbin area and needed a screw to repair it which he did not have. The vendor said he would sell the parts to fix it but it costs $170, he would not sell just the screw. Also the bobbin holder needs a latch only. I told Singer guy that you all could help me, can you ? Pretty please ?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 AM

You'll have to hunt, but there should be people that can sell you the parts that you need and not the whole bobbin assembly. I've bought some parts through Aprils http://www.april1930s.com/ If you send her photos of the area with the screw missing you can be sure you get the right one.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:32 PM

See if you can find the missing part in the parts manual. This is a website that has manuals for download, FREE. PDF links are on the left near the bottom of the webpage.

http://thefeatherweight221factory.com/page7.php

Identifying the part makes it easier to find a replacement. I have some vintage part dealers you could try -

Glenn Williams - http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm
I've sent him emails with the part numbers and even the reference in the manual and he's reasonable.

Can't find the one in Kansas at the moment, but I bet Glenn will have what you need.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Right now on ebay, there is a buy it now for 55.00. A bobbin hook and base assembly with screws. Is this what you need? or just that screw? There are also vintage bobbin cases in case you can't find the bobbin case pull. Again, shoot an email to Glenn and I'm bettin he can help you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-194...item3a88509c70
Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 AM

Facebook has a Featherweight page with several members who sell authentic FW parts. I've bought a couple things successfully! It's called: Gailee's Singer Featherweight 221 & 222 Sewing Machines
Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 AM

The friendly folks here are always here for fellow addicts. If you can post pictures it would help. Congratulations on your 221. They are like the old VW's- lots of interchangeable parts. I bought one which needed a teeny tiny screw for the bobbin holder. My repairman was able to order it for about $2.00. You'll be sewing soon.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Here is another suggestion to add to all the great ones you already have. Go to the website of novamontgomery.com She refurbishes and repairs FWs. I think you would enjoy and learn a lot from her website. Parts and contact information is listed there.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:50 PM

One of the best Featherweight experts I have seen is Nova Montgomery. Her website is: www.NovaMontgomery.com
She has parts, instructions, classes on how to do your own repairs, more Featherweights than you can imagine and answered my quieries very promptly. I think I originally found her name on this forum.I would say don't let anyone mess with your FW unless they know what they are doing as they will probably really mess it up.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Don't let him charge you that kind of $!!! As others have said there are plenty of places to find what you need.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 PM

I will add to the recommendations for Glenn Williams. I got just what I needed and very reasonable.

On one of my 301s, the bed would not stay up when lifted. It was missing a concave washer that supplies pressure. I mentioned it when visiting my OSMG to pick up my Viking 6020 after overhaul. He pulled out a box from under his bench, found the washer I needed and gave it to me. Yeah for OSMG with spare parts.