Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight skipping stitches >

Featherweight skipping stitches

Featherweight skipping stitches

Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Originally Posted by deema
deema, I got a FW in January and it took some time for me to get through every little quirk that I was doing. Here is a link that might help. Scroll down the page a little bit to find skipping stitches. I’m using a 70/10 needle and it’s working fine. Have you changed thread? Hope this helps and I'm curious to hear what others have to tell you.

http://singerfeatherweight221.blogsp...herweight.html
Thank you for the link. I may try a bigger needle and see if that helps. Smaller number means bigger needle, right? So an 80/12 would be bigger than the 90/14...?

I didn't change the thread between piecing blocks and piecing the rows. I started a new spool when I started piecing this top and it's still pretty full. This is the first time piecing a top with my FW (I've only had her for a few weeks), so it could be that she's just temperamental about thread. I might try a different kind, (Using Connecting Threads thread), but like I said, there were no problems at all until today and I've been using the same spool for the whole thing thus far.

When I changed out the bobbin, it was nearly empty, so I thought it might have been sort of a bobbin tension kind of issue from it being so low, but the newly wound full bobbin didn't help it any...
Yes I believe so. I use a universal needle because I always sew with 100% cotton so I'm not very knowledgeable about needles at all. I googled sewing machine needles and found this, hope it helps. http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingmac...Sizes.--94.htm

You might be on to something about the thread. I've read other people saying that FW's are picky about thread. When you place the thread on the spool pin make sure that the bar code is on the bottom. FW's are fussy about this.

I’m wondering if you adjust the tension a tad if it might help.
The 1st two weekends after I got my FW I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong! That old song “Getting to Know You” from the King & I kept going through my head.

Have you changed anything else recently? If so that could be the culprit. I know this sounds obvious but it wasn’t for me at first – I was so confused.
Awesome blog site! Thank YOU!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

No you are already using the bigger needle. 80/12 is smaller but should normally fine. I use the 90-14 for quilting not for piecing but it works for piecing too.

You replaced the needle. That was the number one thing I could think of. How about how the bobbin is wound or what thread you have in the bobbin versus top?

And yes, use a needle 80-12 that is labeled sharp for piecing and use the 90-14 labeled top stitch for quilting. I like schmetz needles.

Besure the bobbin is wound correctly. Also when you hold the bobbin the thread should wind off towards you. when you put it in the bobbin holder pull it back up in to the groove on the left to the little chamber.

deema, I got a FW in January and it took some time for me to get through every little quirk that I was doing. Here is a link that might help. Scroll down the page a little bit to find skipping stitches. I’m using a 70/10 needle and it’s working fine. Have you changed thread? Hope this helps and I'm curious to hear what others have to tell you.

Thank you for the link. I may try a bigger needle and see if that helps. Smaller number means bigger needle, right? So an 80/12 would be bigger than the 90/14...?

I didn't change the thread between piecing blocks and piecing the rows. I started a new spool when I started piecing this top and it's still pretty full. This is the first time piecing a top with my FW (I've only had her for a few weeks), so it could be that she's just temperamental about thread. I might try a different kind, (Using Connecting Threads thread), but like I said, there were no problems at all until today and I've been using the same spool for the whole thing thus far.

When I changed out the bobbin, it was nearly empty, so I thought it might have been sort of a bobbin tension kind of issue from it being so low, but the newly wound full bobbin didn't help it any...
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 PM

Here's a strange thing we had happen to a customer's FW which kept having problems. she was winding the bobbin
at breakneck speed & not getting an even wind. had to finally watch her sewing to spot the problem. she has not
been back again with problems. so maybe slow down.
and adjusting the pressure screw on top may help. just a little adjustment.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 PM

How long were you sewing when you started to notice the jumping stitches? From when you started to sew or towards the end of the piecing?

When my machine has been used for over 2 hours continuously, the motor will overheat and stitches will start going wonky. If I stop and let it cool down, things go back to normal. I've taken apart the machine, oiled and lubed it to death a couple of times, tried changing needles and threads and bobbins, etc. to no avail.

I have found that consistent speed (not too fast, and not too slow) does make a difference in the quality of the stitch when FMQ - I'm still a beginner at FMQ and get lots of eyelashes.

I'm using the 14 needle regularly on my FW with excellent results. My tension is 0, set by the mechanic the last 3 times in the shop, even though my original manual says tension should be 3 for even stitching. I use Coats & Clark cotton coated poly thread.

On the older spools of threads (I have some going back 25+ years), I get a lot of shredding and lint these days (probably because the thread has dried out). I've never used the Hump Jumper, though it looks pretty handy for thick seams. I am using Singer needles only.

I don't usually have a problem with tension, etc. but lately have been playing around with it to try to get a better straight stitch. It's the feed dogs in my case being sticky about dropping down, and I haven't seen a solution other than the ideas in this thread.

Lots of good ideas here. I'm keeping an eye on it for all of the above reasons.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 AM

My FW sews across seams perfectly. I would hate to think I had to use a hump jumper when crossing every intersection. I do hope you get it figured out soon. I hate it when my baby acts up.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 PM

Bigger the number means bigger needle. Smaller number on thread means fatter thread.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Sounds like I'm not the only one having problems using different threads on my Featherweight. I tried using Aurifil but the tension seems very tight- or maybe it's because of how hard it is to wind a bobbin without the spool jumping off, my bobbin is probably unevenly wound. I think Gutterman and Coats cotton work better for me, does anyone know if it's an issue with how the thread is wound on the spool? my other machines seem less particular.